Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Think These Should Be Banned

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Freeware

Mr_Freeware

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlWueZ7FnZg...ted&search=

http://www.dragonlasers.com/

i never thought id see myself saying this because i dont believe in restricting peoples freedoms, but what possible legitimate use could someone have for one of these. the things reach 20 miles !!! i can understand them being useful for industrial and commercial purposes such as laser shows. but what does the general public need this for? just for pointing at things? im not too big on gun control , but in ways, these things are worse than guns. guns cant shoot something 20 miles away. i can see people using these things for no good.

a lot of people are too stupid to own one. like this guy. hes pointing a powerful laser in a mirror shining the beam right back to his eyes. not too smart if you ask me.

http://www.dragonlasers.com/i/u/6050995/i/.../009/009-04.jpg

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 27 July 2007 - 12:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:48 PM

Must admit I had to go off and find some info on these things as I wasn't sure if they were kid's toys or not. And I do hope they aren't!

I couldn't honestly figure out why one would buy one - did I miss something, I wonder?

If what I read was correct, the light is so bright it can cause permanent eye damage ... they will burst balloons (so will a pin and they are so much cheaper - grin!) ... and apparently if pointed directly at a dry leave, it will start to burn within 7-10 seconds. Didn't find any mention to what happens if pointed at human skin (or an animal) and held there for more than a few seconds.

So I wouldn't think they'd be suitable for children to play with - or older kids, for that matter. Which leaves me still wondering why anyone would buy one.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:57 PM

My opinion is that these things should never be allowed to be sold to the Public.The Government Departments responsible, are to me, asleep at the wheel,as they say.It will take a few terrible injuries, with these things,before they wake up and ban them.

#4 kasploticus

kasploticus

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:22 PM

i believe the use of laser tech has helped mankind see medical use like all things the misuse of anything is the problem i enjoy the light shows (ie) laser displays we all have the right to express ourselves but not to enforce our opinions on others see gun control where will it all end use the right tool for the job and use it with care :thumbsup: be careful out there

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

Guns have a use, but I fail to see what benefit these could be to the general Public.IMO.

#6 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:43 PM

I can't find where it says they can reach 20 miles. Also, in that picture, that guy isn't pointing it in his eye. And finally, I don't believe in gun control, and I don't believe in laser control either (lol). Even if they can reach 20 miles, I personally don't have the accuracy to hit anything of importance.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

While we are at it lets make it illegal to go down the street without a hard hat and knee pads on, make all diving boards illegal and be sure and make running illegal as someone can be hurt.

We already have to have our fireworks not so powerful anymore because somebody might get hurt and yet people still do today.

I think these are neat. As long as nobody points it in someones eyes its fine why ban them? People can still get plenty of things to poke eyes out like BB guns and nobody complains about them?...

We cant be afraid of everything.

My aunt is a worry wort. Scared somebody is going to get hurt over anything. My uncle finally got mad and told her she needs to go live in a big box with no windows.

#8 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 01:01 AM

While we are at it lets make it illegal to go down the street without a hard hat and knee pads on, make all diving boards illegal and be sure and make running illegal as someone can be hurt.

We already have to have our fireworks not so powerful anymore because somebody might get hurt and yet people still do today.

I think these are neat. As long as nobody points it in someones eyes its fine why ban them? People can still get plenty of things to poke eyes out like BB guns and nobody complains about them?...

We cant be afraid of everything.

My aunt is a worry wort. Scared somebody is going to get hurt over anything. My uncle finally got mad and told her she needs to go live in a big box with no windows.

Agree completely.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#9 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:27 PM

I gotta get me one of theese things,

even though it can reach up to 20 miles, its not going to have the intensity it had like when the video showed it popping ballons and lighting matches.

Besides

did you see the prices on them?! I think it will be awhile before our children start running around with them and poking eyes out.

Edited by ussr1943, 29 July 2007 - 08:28 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:09 PM

You can make your own by buying a 5 or 10 MW one for 60 bucks and taking out the laser.
Then soddar a certain area on the chip and tighten the screw on the inside. It goes from 10MW to 100 just like that. It can pop balloons and light matches and such. Check it out at metacafe if you want.

#11 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:18 AM

i agree these things should be banned.some idiot once shined a laser in my eye and it really hurt,lets just say that laser is now in a place were no light can shine :thumbsup:
god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#12 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

I agree with cowsgonemadd, it's like anything else in the world, if your irresponsible with it, it's dangerous. You know what? If someone is being stupid and shines it in someone's eye and they go blind, it's that persons own damn fault, not the maker's or the goverment's. Same thing with guns, if someone gets shot in the arm because they were being stupid, it's their own damn fault, not the goverment's, or the seller's. I, personally, think these things are pretty frikkin cool, just because I'm a sucker for pretty lights. If I had $100 laying around, I'd get one just to shine it in the sky when it's raining or something, just to see how cool it is. I would NEVER shine it at someone or anything like that, because that's being irresponsible. If I did do it and someone got hurt, it's my own fault and I should be punished, not the guys who made it. It's not the product, it's the people.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#13 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

Pretty lights. I want one.... You can probably see where i stand on this. We live in a world where people cant take responsibility for their own actions. Like the woman who sued MacDonalds because it made her overweight (btw is that really true or just an urban legend?)

Of course lasers are dangerous if used wrongly but like yoda and cowsgonemad said. Its the responsibility of the user not the manufacturer. Lets stop protecting those with no common sense and let them learn a few lessons.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#14 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 01 August 2007 - 12:40 AM

Of course lasers are dangerous if used wrongly but like yoda and cowsgonemad said. Its the responsibility of the user not the manufacturer. Lets stop protecting those with no common sense and let them learn a few lessons.

Agreed. Just make them and let people find out for themselves the problems they get with the lack of common sense.

#15 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

I can't find where it says they can reach 20 miles.

Since a laser is a coherent beam of light, then it's theoretical range is infinite. The practical range would be far shorter, I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users