Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Turn On!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David111

David111

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

About last week, I was just browsing on the internet and suddenly the computer shut down unexpectedly. The computer restarted shortely after that, and about 5 seconds later, it shut down again. It kept on restarting and shutting down 5 seconds later.

After 3 hrs, it finally started up and I was able to go on the desktop screen. At first I thought it wasn't going to happen again, but suddenly, after an hour or so, the computer turned off without any warning!

Then it kept on restarting and shutting down after 5 seconds and kept on doing that. Sometimes it doesn't shut off after 5 seconds and manages to go to the desktop screen, but it always shuts down unexpectedly.

It's been happening over a week now, and today, my computer wouldn't start at all. I pressed the power button but it wouldn't do anything. When I unplug the power cord on the back of my computer and reconnect it, the computer turns on, but it shuts down after 5 seconds.

I read some articles about why this could be happening. I thought it was the heating problem so i opened up the computer and cleaned almost everything. I know it can't be a virus because I scanned the computer when I was able to use it for a short period of time. I don't know whats going on! Please help me!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:02 AM

Usually the first thing that I would check would be the power supply. If there is an led on the back of the computer, near where the power cord plugs in, let us know if it blinks rapidly when you try to turn on the computer.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 David111

David111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:08 AM

It blinks once when I turn on the computer. It doesn't blink rapidly.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:12 AM

Another thing to do would be to turn off the automatic restart feature so that you can see what the error message/code is.

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

You should also look in your event viewer to see what error are being recorded there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 David111

David111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

Thanx for the reply, but I already tried but of those things. I think beacuse I cleared the automatically restart box, I'm not restarting. I also looked at the event viewer but there were no errors. The computer still has the problem... It might shut off any time soon! =[
I ran a program called SpeedFan to check the temperature, and the temperature is between 20C to 40C.

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:26 PM

It might be that the CPU heatsink fan is stalling, but only sometimes. When it runs the CPU temp would be OK, but if it stalls the temp would climb and eventually cause an overheat. Monitor Speedfan's fan speeds. There should be little change in any fan's speed at any time.

On the other hand it may be that the power supply is overheating, possibly because its fan is stalling. You'll have to visually inspect for this. Also, the power supply's voltages may be fluctuating too much, possibly due to overheating or simply because of failing components. Again, you can use Speedfan to monitor the output voltages +3.3, +5 and +12. They should all be well within +/-5% of their nominal voltages.

+3.3: 3.135V to 3.465v
+5: 4.75V to 5.25V
+12: 11.4V to 12.6V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users