Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wasps!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

Seems to be a stellar year for Wasps and Hornets around here.
Had to share this shot I took of a Paper Wasp on it's nest hours after we had sprayed it with a type of tool cleaner.
Find that works works just as well as insectiside. Feel if the birds are going to eat up the few dead remaining wasps, don't have to worry about poisoning them too.

Posted Image
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:40 PM

Speaking of wasps and hornets, look at this video:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/20...nets-video.html
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 kasploticus

kasploticus

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

hi try using a insect powder with carbaryl in it this will kill the wasps in the nest if you can find it they never come back outi :thumbsup: its the best way i have found petrol or diesell is o/k but the carbayl dust really works

#4 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:11 PM

Terrific photo, TMack! It doesn't appear the tool cleaner is working quite yet - but glad to know it works eventually and without harming the birds that may snack on them later.

Does insect powder with carbaryl work quickly, kasploticus?

I have an aversion to wasps at the best of times when I watched the video at the link you gave, oldf@rt, wow! Can understand why they say "Someone who is stung by the hornet and doesn't receive proper treatment soon thereafter can die from the venom, which is powerful enough to disintegrate human flesh" and call them the Hornets from Hell.

Wonder if Lee Valley is missing a huge market with those 'wasp/hornet' things they sell - the things that resemble a hornet's nest that one hangs in a nearby tree, etc. Apparently hornet's see it, think a nest is already there, and move on to make their own elsewhere.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

That's one thing I'm in a constant battle with, around here, is wasp.
My favorite "cure", is either WD-40, or hairspray, and a Bic lighter.
Makes a nice flame thrower. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:56 PM

A VERY effective way to get rid of wasps is to put out a clear 2 liter bottle of a "sweet" (do not use diet) drink with only about 2 inches left in the bottom of it , the wasp find there way in but don't seem to find there way out, after a week or two put the lid back on and toss away , if needed repeat . Have done this a couple times. no poisons, no muss no fuss, and it works like a charm :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:14 AM

I hear you on that one no one.

Friends gave us a glass wasp trap of the same configuration and it's amazing to see the little bit of soft drink just boiling with wasps after a few hours!! :thumbsup:

After a while tho, the live ones enter the trap, land on the dead ones, drink some soda and fly back out of the the trap!
Cheeky Buggers!
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

:thumbsup:

That's one thing I'm in a constant battle with, around here, is wasp.
My favorite "cure", is either WD-40, or hairspray, and a Bic lighter.
Makes a nice flame thrower. :flowers:

And do you fish correctly? it is sometimes called redneck fishing

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:18 AM

No, but I do "fish" for garfish in the canals, with an SKS.
Does that count? :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Yes. BTW, I was born in Lake Charles.

Edited by oldf@rt, 28 July 2007 - 10:32 AM.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

Born in Ville Platte, lived in Lake Charles most of my life (30+yrs), before moving to the Kinder area, where I've been for about 15yrs.

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:31 PM

Lived there 2 years, until dad left Camp Polk, and went to Air force flight school.

#13 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:24 PM

I heard that if you get rid of one nest that they will still come back and make a new one. My mom is allergic to bees, wasps, etc, I haven't had the thrill of finding out if I am too which I wouldn't doubt that I am. We have a couple of nests which are in the eves of the house and people constantly pass by them. It has been talked about getting rid of them, but if we get rid of them and they make a new one I would have to constantly keep a look out to see where they would make it. These 3-4 nests have been up since last summer, and the wasps just came right back to the old ones. I haven't seen any new ones made. So what I was wondering is if you guys think it would be a good idea to take the nests down or just leave them?

#14 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

Hi Cozy :thumbsup:

From what I've seen and read, wasps won't become aggressive until their nest is threatened.
But when someone is allergic, you've got to wonder if it's best to see them gone.

Wait until dark to spray the nest as that's when there is the least activity, then you can take it down and burn it in the morning.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#15 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:07 PM

:trumpet: Tmack

I just have a bad habit of walking around bare foot, and just don't want to step on one of those buggers and get stung. :flowers: Which is why I would rather have them gone than stick around. Also there is no way you'd catch me trying to take down a nest. I'm a tough one but doing something like this, no wayyyyyy. I just wanted to see if what I heard was true if they make new nests. And if they do then I guess these are going to have to stay. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users