Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Development Skills

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AlmerM

AlmerM

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:45 PM

Well, I'm focusing on Game Developing and I also wanna focus on Web Developing.

What skills do I need to become a Professional Web Developer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

So, what does that mean, Web development? Are you interested in developing Web Based applications, Web pages, or are you interested in developing the standards that other people adhere to when developing web content? A developer is usually the person in charge of bringing a project to fruition, so in that respect, good organizational skills, good people skills, ability to multitask, etc. I have developed several projects; I have actually only done coding on a few of them. But if the entire company consists of just you, then you will have to learn how to code. Maybe start out be developing something for the web. To start with, maybe you should find out how web pages are coded. :thumbsup:

#3 AlmerM

AlmerM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

Yes, sorry for not making it clear.

I know basic html and I've done some few sites on freewebs.

Anyways, I'm going to be a solo developer not consisting in a team.
So what I'm asking is what good coding languages should I learn to make
good websites with. I heard many kinds of languages but I'm not quite clear
to what I should learn. Here is the languages I've heard of:

XML, HTML, XHTML, Java, PHP, MySQL, etc

I know that MySQL is used for database coding, and stuff. Just not quite clear
on where I should start my studying to becoming as good Web Developer.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

I know that MySQL is used for database coding

Umm, no. MySql is an implementation of a relational database. SQL is the language used to communicate with such a database, and is virtually identical whether one is using Oracle or Microsoft SQL.

Again, you say you want to become a good Web Developer... I still do not know what that means. What is it that you want to develop? If I told you that I wanted to be a good medical professional, what would you say? Wouldn't the path to becoming a doctor be significantly different than becoming a medical transcriptionist? Without knowing what sort of development that you want to do, it is impossible to give any suggestions. Right off the top of my head, here are a few descriptions that would fit:
Graphics design
Human interface design
Layout
browser compatibility
web page design
web page coding
Section 508 compliance

I develop web applications for use in the bioinformatics field. I design and code the web page interface, I code and design the middle tier that collects information from the web interface, I code and design the controllers that store and retrieve data from the database, I design and code the database, I code and design the applications that spit web pages back to the user. I use Java, javascript, perl, Sql., html, xml, and whatever else I may need to get the job done. If I needed to, I could use php, or asp, or c++, or c. Just knowing the languages doesn't really mean much. All it means is that I have a large toolbox of skills to draw from. I am under no illusion that I am 'good' at any one of them in particular, but I know I can make a living off my skills.

One hint, to become really good at anything, you need to spend a lot of time on research.

So again, what is it exactly that you want to develop? :thumbsup:

#5 AlmerM

AlmerM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:51 PM

Okay, uhm.

I just wanna make a cool functionable website that has nice features.
Take GameTrailers for a example. They made the website
where the website and the forum account is the same thing and they have
virtual cash. Something that makes people wanna visit your site regularly and
helps them kind of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users