Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Pc Parts On The Way! First-time Build

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:32 PM

Our new home office PC is about to take life. Some of the parts are in, some will arrive this Friday, and the rest next week (I hope). This PC will be used for general office (e-mail, internet, MS Office, etc.), photo editing (Photoshop CS3), and CD/DVD data disk creation. It will not be used as a HTPC.

My goals are powerful yet quiet. Here's the parts list:

Case: Antec P182
PSU: Corsair HX520 Modular
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
CPU: Intel E6750 2.66GHz
CPU HSF: Scythe Ninja Rev. B
RAM: 2 x 1GB G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM (model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ)
Video Card: Gigabyte fanless 7600GS
DVD Burner: Samsung SH-S203B SATA 20X burner
Floppy: Mitsumi internal 3.5" floppy / USB 2.0 flash card reader
Hard Drive 1: WD1600YS 160GB drive for O/S & apps
Hard Drive 2: WD1600YS 160GB drive for cache
Hard Drive 3: WD5000ABYS 500GB drive for data
Hard Drive 4: WD5000ABYS 500GB drive for external data backup
External HDD Enclosure: Antec MX-1 USB 2.0 / eSATA enclosure
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2b

Hopefully this system is advanced enough that I will not need to make any major upgrades anytime soon.

Am I nervous? YES!!
Am I excited? YES!!

I think I can manage my way through getting all the hardware hooked up right, but would appreciate any tips, tricks, or links to articles that will help.

The biggest thing I am worried about is setting the BIOS up appropriately, installing Windows XP and any necessary drivers properly, and following best practices when installing all my software (like defragging the hard drive between installations of software - needed?).

Our current PC will be operational during the entire build process, so if I need to download anything it won't be a problem. I am sure I will post questions here during the build, and may even take some pictures.

If anyone here would be so gracious as to contribute to this thread, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Regards.

Woody

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:17 AM

My friend and I just recently built his new computer (our first time!). Anyways, we were a bit nervous, but it worked (until the motherboard fried the next day, it was faulty). I suggest putting in all the ram, processor, etc. in the motherboard before you put it in the case. Sometimes its hard to get your hands around in it.

Also, the other thing that was troublesome was figuring out where the cords went for turning on the computer plugged into the motherboard. Just read the manual, we were too lazy to at first.

Another thing is that when it finally turns on, all you do is put in the windows disc, and it starts installing.

Hopefully this works out well for you! Sounds like a great system. Get back to us on how well it works!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,136 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

Looks like a nice system. When installing the HSF on the processor don't forget the thermal compound. Make sure all the component cards are installed completely sometimes the metal tab on the end of the card doesn't seat right in the case be patient and try again don't force the card too much. Make sure to properly ground yourself before handling the memory and other components in the case. Double check everything and take it one step at a time. I usually install like sterling said the Memory and CPU outside the case, Then install the MB and make ALL the power connections to the MB and the front panel connectors. Install the graphics card and make the necessary connections there (If its PCI-X it may have a power connector). Then move on to the drives. Depending on the case and and system layout this changes some components have to be put in first due to their size. IE: systems with Multiple drives and Large video cards may need the drives installed and connected first. The order in which everything is installed isn't important, but making sure everything is completely connected is. One last bit of advice after you install windows use your MB cd to install the system drivers then park it on Windows update and let it update. Lastly update your graphics drivers.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users