Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Cleaner?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sail-on

sail-on

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:18 PM

I would like to know if using a registry cleaner is a smart thing to do. My T60 Thinkpad is really running slow. I'm using Norton Internet Security Suite 2007, but no other programs to scan for problems. I know many don't care for Norton, but I have it installed, so I'll use it for now.

XP, SP2, 2.0GHz, Core 2 Duo T7200

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 July 2007 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:34 PM

Unless you are comparatively knowledgeable about your version of Windows, you can certainly do more harm to your computer's functioning than any small improvements made by registry cleaners warrant.
There are safer methods to employ to speed performance, and these usually produce noticeable results. See this pinned topic for a start:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:34 PM

Looked at the "slow computer" thread, and there's nothing new there. Is there any registry cleaner around that won't hash things up? Is so, I'd like to know about it. I've been using this process:

1. Install registry cleaner

2. Create restore point

3. Run registry cleaner

4. Find out what isn't working any more

5. Run System Restore

6. Uninstall registry cleaner

And forget about cleaning up the registry manually! Tried it once, won't do it again.

In addition to garbage in the registry, I know that XP also keeps chunks of trash strewn all over the OS. Is there any way to hunt all of this garbage down and get rid of it? Or do we resign ourselves to the fact that XP will slowly fill itself up with so much crapola that the easiest solution is just to re-install it from scratch?

Oh, one thing I did find out that does increase performance is to turn off "indexing" on your drive(s).

Edited by MattV, 28 July 2007 - 04:35 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

This is a matter of much debate throughout the web - but the essence is that Windows will "bloat" on you unless you spend an immense amount of time "policing" it. I tried this once upon a time and found it to be too much effort for too little result. Although expensive, more RAM is a much easier "fix".

You can spend hours tweaking Windows to achieve your goals, but the simplest fixes are often them most significant (such as turning of the indexing service).

I do not recommend the use of registry cleaners under any circumstances (although I do accept the use of the one at http://safety.live.com when used in conjunction with malware removal). If you need a registry cleaner, then it's better to get your hands dirty and do it yourself - then you've only got yourself to blame for whatever may go wrong.

The solution isn't necessarily to reinstall from scratch. Rather, install the OS, make all the Windows Updates, then install all of your programs. Then, use a disk imaging program to create an image of the hard drive. Use this image to restore Windows when it gets bloated - and you'll be back to the way it was when you imaged the fresh copy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 nyray

nyray

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

My dig/systems professor told me about RegVac. It works very well and so far (over a year) I've experienced no glitches. It does help the overall performance of my system. There is a trial version avail online.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:44 AM

I suggest you be VERY careful if you do anything with your registry. I just installed a new HDD, after getting it all the way I wanted I ran System Mechanic 6 Pro. I configured it NOT to change anything in my registry, but did allow it to backup the registry. While backing it up, the program froze, it screwed up my system and I had no restore points left. So be careful... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users