Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pclinuxos 2007 Opinions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:01 PM

Before I install PSLOS 07 on my laptop I just wanted to get some others opinions on it.

Compared to Kubuntu (what I'm switching from) and Fedora (my main PC) whats its ease of use (getting proprietary Codecs and drivers, installing packages, updating)?

and did you like it?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:23 PM

Well I personally liked it, as with downloading and installing items from their service I am not sure I do not have internet at home. It was pretty easy to use though.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:56 PM

Hay there BlackSpyder
Don't know if you've installed it yet or not , I'm using it in "live" mode as I type , have been using it for all of 5min. so far and here I am posting with it :thumbsup: Right now I'd have to say it's "Slicker than a buttered bowling ball" will have to spend some "quality time" with this, that's for sure.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

I've installed it and am semi-liking it. It requires a /home partition which when installing on a 6 gb HDD leaves little space for the / and /swap partitions (always like using a LVM on small drives) so my upgrading and storage capacities are very limited. But it worked no questions asked WMV files played and no hardware needed to be configured.

Posted Image

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

Installed it this afternoon , I R luvin' it... debated doing a duel boot with linspire , but kept comming to the conclusion of " What the heck for ? " I seriously doubt I would ever boot into it as it never really impressed me very much (CNR is nice when it works right and if you don't mind year old software ,FF is still at 1.5.0.6 in LOS 5.0 ) and it doesn't do anything better than PCLOS . all my vids play, a biggie for me was that when I transfered my "stuff" over (mydocs) it didn't rename everything and you tube worked right off the bat. (not so with linspire) and I still have my copy of Kanotix and DSL to play with live :flowers: Yep, I'm a Happy Boy (hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba :thumbsup: )

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 11:01 PM

I really think that it is great... I just need a computer to install it on right now I am using live.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 12 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

'm a Happy Boy (hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba

Obscure Bob and Tom reference. :thumbsup:

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

It's been 4 years since I heard that song (We dont get Bob and Tom here only John-boy and Billy and a bunch of local crazies). Hence why I invested in a CD player that plays MP3 CDs and thinking about XM radio.

Posted Image

#9 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 10:59 PM

So far I haven't found any thing I not happy with here in PCLinuxOS land :flowers: will be tryin out synaptic in the next few days probably , can't think of any thing I need , just want to try it . (Google Earth was cool)

I would have loved to seen the "Beat Farmers" in concert as they were a truly great band :trumpet: (their rendition of Kenny Rodgers "Lucille" is the best :thumbsup:)
Happy Boy--
they are sorely missed http://sdam.com/artists/bf/dick.html

Posted Image

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 06:15 PM

Well, I've given synaptic a decent work out (more or less) I've updated single programs (Firefox), installed new programs (Google Earth), uninstalled programs and did a "update all" ( 182 programs at once ) and it did it all with out a hitch ,a glitch, or a b*tch, impressive , most impressive . I'm thinking I''ll be sticking with this one for the foreseeable future ,if only they had a catch phrase for this , something like "the Hopper Stopper" :thumbsup: " yeah, that's the ticket "

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users