Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring XP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:58 PM

I have WinXp home on my computer and my friend has WinXP pro on her laptop. The laptop has been acting up due to the XP pro being a "unoriginal" copy. Can I install my XP home using my recovery CD onto her laptop? Or should I just tell her to go out and buy a new OS?

Thanks for your help,
Tricky

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:07 AM

Tell her to buy a new OS. As your activation key has been used it will see a major difference in hardware and cause problems for you later when you may reinstall again.

More important, it would be the legal way to do it

#3 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:50 AM

Thanks, didn't think you could install whole system with just restore disk anyways, but this way I can tell her that it can't be done and not just my opinion. I prefer she gets OS rather than risk my puter which seems to be in need of a restore anyways.

Which leads to my next question programs seem to disappear from task bar(?) in bottom right of screen, and sometimes even from window part of task bar(middle) yet when I access task manager they are running and a simple click and they are back on task bar.

Would a restore fix this?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:53 AM

When this happens are any programs crashing?

#5 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:48 PM

The programs in the middle of task bar return on their own or will return if I click on them in task manager, but the ones on the right of task bar still seem to be running in task manager process menu, but I panic when my Norton disappears and reboot, and then it will be there.
Sometimes the program that is open and working in will not be in task bar windows.
Is this my windows or am I going off in the wrong direction?

Thanks,
Tricky

Edited by trickydick, 30 January 2005 - 12:49 PM.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 09:55 PM

This usually happens when your explorer.exe crashes and reloads. You wont see the icons in the taskbar.

#7 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 10:52 PM

Can I do anything to fix that?
The icons disappear from task bar and open windows disappear from task bar even tho they are still there.
Will reinstalling windows fix this or should I look on recovery CD for explorer.exe file and replace it?
If icon not there but still in processes should I worry ie Norton AV?

Thanks,
Tricky

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:19 PM

If its still in the processes its running, the icon is just missing. A reinstall of XP will most likely fix this problem. If you speak to experienced users you will find that most of them reinstall XP every year or so, as inevitably problems start occuring that are hard to locate

#9 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:42 PM

Sorry for all the questions.
So if I want to keep all my stuff on the computer and just re-install windows how would I go about that ? If I back-up everything and then re-install windows and then restore my back-up will it not take my old winXP as well?
I hope it doesn't frustrate you to have to explain something that must be so simple.

Tricky

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:16 AM

No its ok...is your restoral disk the actual windows xp disk or a disk from the manufacturer? If its a disk from the manufacturer you need to just backup the data such as your word processing, spreadsheet documents etc onto a cd if available. That way when its restored you just have to copy that stuff back.

If its the actual windows xp cd, then you can probably do a in place reinstall.

#11 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:07 AM

Its a restore disk from the manufacturer. Will that backup strategy also work for all my programs? I've heard that the programs install some files into the windows so if I re-install windows they may not work properly. I'd hate to have to "re-train" some of these programs ie zone alarm, processguard.
I'd like to just copy my whole system onto a new windows install.

Tricky

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,618 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:13 AM

Unfortunately it does not work that way. All applications woul dhave to be reinstalled to make sure you have a clean reinstall

#13 trickydick

trickydick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:38 PM

thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Tricky

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users