Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing All Traces Of A Free Online Game Trial!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:55 PM

Hey there! I'm hoping someone will be able to enlighten me on this, because I am totally stumped.

I recently downloaded & installed a free online trial version of the game "Cake Mania", and I loved it, so after the trial ran out, I went out and bought a copy of the game at my local games store.

When I got home, prior to installing my own copy of the game, I uninstalled the trial version using Add/Remove Programs. I figured all was well and good, so I installed my own game using the disc. No problems.

But then when I went to play the game....my saved games from the trial version are still there. Now I know that's not *really* a big deal, but I'd really like to remove all traces of the trial version from my hard drive. I know the answer probably lies in editing the registry, but I didn't want to go near there until I had advice from someone who might conceivably know what they're talking about!

So if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it!

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell 15R
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 8.1, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

No, you will not need to make any registry changes. Hooray!
First you will need to uninstall the game; be sure you have the product key before doing so. Once you have uninstalled it using add/remove programmes, then you will need to do a search for any residue (some installers will NOT uninstall saved games) by using Windows Explorer. The saved games are usually found in a folder with the game name on it.
Once you have found it, simply delete the entire folder.
Now you can re-install the game from the disk you purchased.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users