Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2003 Print Server

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:43 PM

I have a Windows server 2003 box that serves as both a domain controller and a print server in my organization. The issue is with the print spooler service, sometimes the service will crash which requires it to be rstarted through the services.msc. My problem is that whenever I have to restart the print spooler I also have to restart the TCP/IP print server service since it is dependent on the spooler service, however, I most times have to go through this process 3 or 4 times before printing capability is restored. My question is do I have to have the TCP/IP print server service running in order to use the box as a print server? All the printers in the office are installed and shared on the machine. I have a suspicion that the TCP/IP service is what is causing me to have to restart the spooler several times before restoring printing. In my last position, we didn't use that service we only used the spooler service. What, if any, function does the TCP/IP print server service provide?

Thanks
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:21 PM

If i remember correctly, this also called Print services for unix. if you are not using Linux/Unix in your network, this should not be necessary. Give this MS Technet Article a quick read, it covers trouble shooting.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users