Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A New Computer.. Suggest The Specs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 etah

etah

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hello guys,

I am buying a new computer in a day or two.. I want your suggestions on the specs of my computer with what should i go for and what should i stay away from...

The specs which i have in my mind right now are.. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz with Intel mother board 965.. 250 GB seagate hard drive... 512mb ddr2 ram... sony dvd write with viewsonic 17" TFT... I am be running windows xp to start with and than maybe after 6-7 months i will go for vista..

I use my computer mainly for internet surfing or to watch movies.. so let me know if these specs will work or do i need to change anything in terms of getting better performance out of it..

also, if anyone else is using inetl 2.0ghz core 2 duo please let me know if it has a over heating problem or not?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

It sounds like a good computer. Are you going to custom-build the thing or buy one from a computer company? Also, I would recommend bumping up to 1GB or more of RAM. How much does that viewsonic screen cost? And make sure to buy a decent video card as well (would recommend DirectX 10 compatibility)
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 etah

etah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

i am going to custom build it.. viewsonic screen is costing me around $215.. if i dont play a lot of games will i still need a video card and if i decide to play some games, which video card should i go for?

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

I highly recommend this monitor, it's a tad cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...samsung%2b941bw

For the video card, I'd recommend something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130062

Edited by T, 25 July 2007 - 10:53 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:08 AM

Ya, thats a great graphics card, especially for the money! That will be great for doing light gaming.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 etah

etah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

thanks guys... ocelot i highly appreciate ur idea for the bigger and probably better monitor but i am in india and not in US.. here the viewsonic 17" is costing me around $215 and if i go for samsung it will cost me around 275-300$ for 19".... i am not on a tight budget but i dont see the sense spending that high on monitor only...

i like ur idea for the video card... can u tell me if i will be able to play age of mythology on it?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:36 AM

You're going to need a case and PSU, I know that some good deals can be found on a case and PSU combo, but the PSUs in these generally are not the best quality. The PSU is the heart of the system, don't skimp on it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users