Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Sound Card Stoped Working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 616

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

Ok, so it was working fine the otherday and i go to restart my computer and i don't hear any doom 95 start up music and so i decided to try testing in meida player i got this error "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly." so i hoped into control panel and went to sounds and devices went to hardware and trouble shot and got nothing so i decided well maybe my sound card went bad. i tried 3 others and none of them worked (and yes i tried installing drivers for all of them twice)

if anyone can help i would be so thankful

Oh yeah this is my first time posting on these forums and i would like to say hello to anyone that reads this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:13 PM

1. Are the speakers plugged in?
2. Is the mute setting off and volume turned up?
3. Do you have the right drivers?
4. Do you have the drivers enabled in Device Manager?
5. Are the sound cards known working?
6. Is there any integrated sound available?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 616

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:51 PM

1. Are the speakers plugged in?
2. Is the mute setting off and volume turned up?
3. Do you have the right drivers?
4. Do you have the drivers enabled in Device Manager?
5. Are the sound cards known working?
6. Is there any integrated sound available?

1. Yes
2. there is no sound option anywhere there is useually a icon at the bottom at it is not there nor in the start menu
3. yes
4. Yes
5. yes it says "This device is working properly."
6. no :-(

#4 wenpeek

wenpeek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

I realize this is a little after the fact since this was posted back in July 2007, but hey better late than never! :trumpet:

Anyhoo, I had the exact same problem happen to me recently and it took me forever to figure out what the problem was and what caused it. The culprit that caused it was I uninstalled iTunes from my computer and obviously it wasn't very happy about that. Because after I rebooted my computer I had no sound card installed and no sound nowhere!!

It took me a little time, 18 solid hours to be exact, (what? that's not being obsessed or hard-headed! I like to think of it as being dedicated to the challenge!! :cool: ), but I finally figured it out and how to fix it.

Here's what I had to do to fix my problem:

1) Open your Microsoft Management Console and go to Windows Services. If you're not sure how to get there here is the path that Windows help listed.

To open Services, click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services.

2) Next find where your audio device is located. Mine was simple. It's called Windows Audio! :inlove:

3) Once you find it, right click on it and select properties. Make sure it shows the status as "started" and the start up type as "automatic" and click apply.

4) While you're there click on the recovery tab and under First, Second and Third Failure Options set them all as "Restart the Service". Click apply again, then ok and reboot your computer.

When your computer is back up go to your control panel and select Sound and Audio Devices and click the audio tab and everything should be back to normal. At least this is what fixed my problem and from your description above about seeing nothing listed under your audio tab it sounds like exactly what my problem was.

Like I said in the beginning, I honestly believe that when I uninstalled iTunes it disabled my sound card becasue right after I did that is when I started having problems. Which personally, I think is a crock of you know what! Don't be mad because I don't like your program, just go away! Hey, wasn't that a Van Halen song????? :thumbsup:

Hopefully after seven months you've already solved your problem but just in case I thought I would save somebody at least a good 17 1/2 hours of banging their head against the nearest solid object, however I found out that you do that once or twice (and you wake up from knocking yourself out) you have a pretty clear head to focus on your challenge! :)

Sorry, for all the jokes and sillyness added in between steps. My meds haven't quite kicked in yet!! :flowers: (just joking!)

Wendy M. Peek
"Life is short! Break the rules...forgive quickly...kiss slowly...love deeply...laugh uncontrollably...and never regret anything that made you smile." ~ Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users