Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phishing Site?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nixx

nixx

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

Hello

I received an email that was asking to answer a survey. I accidentally clicked on the link and closed the window that popped up immediately. I think it's a phishing website or something. Here is what the mail looked like. The way it was typed is pretty odd (as shown in the encircled words).

I just wanna know if my password got hacked or I'm infected with a virus or something else since I clicked on the link.

Need help. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Anybody willing to click the link for me? haha

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

You can check out the link here:
http://www.explabs.com/

You broke one of the golden rules of computing safety. Maybe two. Don't open an email if you don't recognize the sender or if it is suspect. NEVER click on a link in an email or IM unless you have verified where it will take you. You can use the link above or copy and paste the link into Google and see what the results say.
Suggest you scan with whatever security programs you have.

Edited by buddy215, 25 July 2007 - 01:02 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

If you look, the survey is referencing a yahoo case #, this thing looks so bad it is pitiful!

anyhow, I say 100% it is phishing. try running an on line scanner, such as F-Secure
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

hello again

well i tried linkscanner and here's the result:

Congratulations! LinkScanner Online did not find any exploits at:
http://survey.confirmit.com/wix/p407622488.aspx?r=2487647
Scanned:
Thursday, July 26, 2007

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:17 AM

That begs the question--Do you use Yahoo and have you ever used Yahoo support?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:21 AM

Oh by the way, linkscanner is weird. Or maybe not. Anyway, I had the link scanned right?

But the whole link is http://survey.confirmit.com/wix/p407622488...&s=SAOWVDUL
I just copied and pasted the link to the bar, but after scanning, the link is incomplete. There's no &s=SAOWVDUL, so did linkscanner scan what I pasted or the incomplete link?

#7 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:23 AM

That begs the question--Do you use Yahoo and have you ever used Yahoo support?

Hey :thumbsup:

Well yeah, my email provider is Yahoo! and I do sometimes e-mail Yahoo! support for help.
Do you think it's a valid link? Anyway, I just accidentally clicked on it last night but I closed it immediately, the page didn't load

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:30 AM

Does the case number ring a bell? In any case if it is legit, you don't HAVE TO respond.

#9 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:39 AM

Im not sure :thumbsup:

well anyway thanks for all the help!

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:53 AM

Here is a link to the Google responses for the link in your email.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=...amp;btnG=Search

The link in your email is legit.

#11 nixx

nixx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:29 AM

oh okay thank you very much! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users