Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Turn Off Microsoft Firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsk3

rsk3

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

I have XP SP2. It comes with Microsoft firewall running. I am using Comodo for the firewall, but I can't turn off the MS firewall. Going to where I would turn it off, it's greyed out so I can't. I've tried running some utilities that supposedly do it, but it comes back with 'your Group Policy won't allow this'. I can't find where to change my group policy, or why it's on in the first place. This is a stand-alone PC. How do I turn off the MS firewall? It is causing me problems accessing the Internet thru my browser.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 POADB

POADB

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:35 PM

Try this registry "fix" from Kellys Korner.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/firewalloff.reg

Save the reg file to your desktop and then double click it to run it. Choose yes when asked to merge it to the registry.

Has it turned off Windows Firewall?

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Is this your home computer or workplace computer?

Normally Comodo asks you if you want to disable it when you install it, and Comodo does it on its own.

Are you an administrator for that computer?

#4 rsk3

rsk3
  • Topic Starter

• Banned Spammer
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:00 PM

It's my home computer and yes, I'm the admin. When I installed Comodo it mentioned that there was another firewall in place, but it dodn't ask if I wanted to disable it. I can remove/re-install Comodo again to see if it asks it. else, I'll try the Kelly's fix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users