Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Creating Multiple Logons

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

I'm going to be starting from scratch on a new laptop, and will be creating two logons again (one for me, one for my wife) -- both need to have "Administrative Privileges" because of certain things in certain programs only working correcting if the account is that.

What I'm wondering is, what settings/etc. in Windows are universal and what settings do I have to do for each logon?

I guess I will probably install ZA and AVG Free *before* creating the two logons. Then do Firefox and all other programs after creating the two logons.

I will probably make any changes to Windows settings *before* as well.

But if I make any Windows settings after, will they automatically apply to both logons/accounts? Or do some work one way, and some the other?

What about any setting changes I make in other programs/applications? I know Firefox and IE security settings, etc, would be separate for each logon (I believe). But I'm not sure about anything else.

Any thoughts on all that? Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:10 PM

Some "universal" settings are the display resolution and the power settings. Any programs installed by one user is available to be run by another user, though the Desktop icons may not show for other users. Some Desktop icons appear to all users while others do not. See folder \Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop for common icons (shortcuts) and files. See \Documents and Settings\{user_name}\Desktop for individual shortcuts and files.

Individual settings include wallpaper, the My Documents folder location, IE homepage, Outlook Express email setup and some Desktop items.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply (and nice avatar! ACK!)...

But what about anything you do in Windows for Network Connections or Windows Firewall (which I'll be turning off) or anything else listed in the Control Panel?
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 motherboard

motherboard

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

As long as you are an admin, then you can make any system wide changes.

It's best to keep windows F/W on unless you have a proper one like Zone Alarm.

Hope that helped,

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

Both accounts will be admin. So when I make any changes in anything in the Control Panel, it will be for both accounts?

I'll be installing a ZA first thing...

Thanks!

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:28 AM

More specifically, if I make changes to Internet Options (settings and advanced settings) in Control Panel, will they apply for both logons? Or is it better to do those settings before creating the two logons and then they would count for both?

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:51 PM

I believe it will be across the board. Personal settings like screensavers, icons on the desktop and such will be up to the individual. At least thats the way it is on my daughter's unit
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:07 AM

I'm wondering if/when you run AVG A/V or Antispyware or Ad-Aware Free or SpyBot scans logged in as one user, does that actually scan the whole comptuer, including any files/folders/programs/etc. that are only for the other logon? Or do you have to run all those programs twice, once from each logon?

(Both my logons are marked as administrator logons, just fyi...)

Thanks!

#9 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:38 PM

I'm wondering if/when you run AVG A/V or Antispyware or Ad-Aware Free or SpyBot scans logged in as one user, does that actually scan the whole comptuer, including any files/folders/programs/etc. that are only for the other logon? Or do you have to run all those programs twice, once from each logon?

If you tell the program to scan the entire volume where you keep windows (usually the C:\ drive) then it will scan the files of all users. Each user keeps their own info in: C:\Documents and Settings\Username so they will all be scanned.

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2007 - 12:29 AM

If you tell the program to scan the entire volume where you keep windows (usually the C:\ drive) then it will scan the files of all users. Each user keeps their own info in: C:\Documents and Settings\Username so they will all be scanned.

Ah, right -- that makes sense. But while you can select C: for the scan for AVG Free, you don't really select anything with Ad-Aware SE Free and SpyBot -- they just scan. So are they scanning C: in full, just by default? Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 02 August 2007 - 12:31 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users