Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Load Past The Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chmc1

chmc1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

:thumbsup: I have a Dell Dimension E-520 with Windows XP SP2 installed. I had a virus detected and opted to clean it. After the PC was shut down and turned back on it comes up to the welcome screen with my user account. When I select the user it says "loading personal settings" then almost immediately says "closing network connections" and returns to the welcome screen. Have tried Safe mode with administrator, same behavior also tried last known good configuration same behavior. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:06 AM

I had a virus detected and opted to clean it.

How exactly did you clean it? Do you know the name of the virus?

Edited by mand0, 25 July 2007 - 11:06 AM.

#3 chmc1

chmc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Not sure of the virus I normally don't write the name my software usually logs it. Spyware Terminator was what I used. I see wsaupdater.exe can alter the userinit.exe registry entry but I'm not sure without being able to see the registry what entry might be in the winlogon value.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:12 PM

This Registry mod is only one of a bizillion possible changes that can cause problems.

Since you don't know the name of the virus or the changes that Spyware Terminator made it may be that your only reasonable option is to reinstall the OS. Dell usually supplies (or offers to supply) a system restoration CD that is used to do this. If you did not get this CD with your system go to the Dell site and inquire how you can get this. Typically the CD is around $10.

Be sure to write down the Service Tag number from the sticker on the back of the machine. Call Sales at the number shown here:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...;l=en&s=dhs
Be sure to tell them you want the disc for XP, not Vista.

If you do reinstall the OS, beforehand you may wat to do a data backup to a removeable drive while your system is operational (and before it crashes again).

#5 chmc1

chmc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:43 AM

:thumbsup: Discovered it is a false positive in ST that identified userinit.exe and trojan/w32.phoney.wxp and deleted userinit.exe from the system. Ended up reinstalling winXP and doing a repair install. No data loss but some grief redoing updates. Thanks to all for the assist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users