Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tray Icon Won't Stay Hidden!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 siouxdax

siouxdax

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:14 AM

There is an icon that appears in the tray for quick settings to Griffin Technologies PowerMate, which essentially a giant volume knob that does a myriad of things with lots of programs, but that is irrelevant to my problem.

I right-click on the taskbar, click "properties", then click "customize" in the "Notification Area" on the "Taskbar" tab. A new window pops up and allows me to control the behavior of icons that appear in the system tray. The three options are: "always hide", "always show" and "hide when inactive". I have tried time and time again for the PowerMate icon to "always hide", only to have it show up when I next restart the computer. One thing that I think is relevant to this is that under the column "Name/Current Items", the icon for PowerMate is labeled "<no title>". I have a feeling this is why it always wants to show when I restart my computer.

So my question is this: How do I get this icon to hide, or just go away completely? Even right-clicking on the icon shows an option to "hide taskbar icon". Needless to say it does not work. Is there some way I can get rid of this tray icon via the registry, or some such means?

Any input on the topic would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:25 AM

I'd suggest uninstalling the Powermate program. Or, you may use the free Autoruns program to disable it from starting: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 siouxdax

siouxdax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

I'd suggest uninstalling the Powermate program. Or, you may use the free Autoruns program to disable it from starting: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx

Unfortunately, I can't uninstall the PowerMate program, otherwise my PowerMate wouldn't work. I'll try disabling it with Autoruns, but if I had a guess, that autorun would be required for the PowerMate to function at all.

Is there no way to find this "<no title>" entry in the registry and change this? I really have a feeling it's behaving like this because of the "<no title>".

Kind Regards,
Daniel in Tulsa
(aka siouxdax)

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

Use the Autoruns program, it'll tell you where the entry is in the registry. Autoruns scans your entire computer for startups - and it's got a lot of information that you can use to troubleshoot the "no title" thing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users