Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Buy Upgrade From Windows 98?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:56 PM

Howdy BC!
I am doing tech jobs for my aunt, and I am curious if I can purchase Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade Edition and run it on a hard drive pre-installed with Windows 98SE.

I know the XP upgrade cutoff point was at Windows 98 (Windows 95 and lower had to buy the full edition), but what is the cutoff for Vista? I would think if Microsoft was smart, due to the 26% of Microsoft Windows 98SE users out there, they would allow it.

Anyway, thanks!
-Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:28 PM

Howdy BC!
I am doing tech jobs for my aunt, and I am curious if I can purchase Windows Vista Home Basic Upgrade Edition and run it on a hard drive pre-installed with Windows 98SE.

I know the XP upgrade cutoff point was at Windows 98 (Windows 95 and lower had to buy the full edition), but what is the cutoff for Vista? I would think if Microsoft was smart, due to the 26% of Microsoft Windows 98SE users out there, they would allow it.

Anyway, thanks!
-Glen

well to be perfectly honest if your running 98 on anything its more then likely that the pc wont even beable to handle vista.

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:34 PM

Indeed. However, we already have a Windows 98SE CD. I intend on installing 98 on the new computer, and then upgrading to Vista with the upgrade edition. I'm thinking about building my own computer. I might not, but it's good information to know, nonetheless.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

Go look at the middle of this page from Microsoft©. I believe you need windows 2000 or later.

Edited by oldf@rt, 25 July 2007 - 03:29 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 noaim

noaim

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:34 AM

Indeed. However, we already have a Windows 98SE CD. I intend on installing 98 on the new computer, and then upgrading to Vista with the upgrade edition. I'm thinking about building my own computer. I might not, but it's good information to know, nonetheless.

IMO building ur own computer is the best way to go you get the best bang for your buck im sure there is a few people on this board that could stear you in the right direction for your needs if you need assistance with it. You get alot more out of it if you do.

#6 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:03 AM

Go look at the middle of this page from Microsoftİ. I believe you need windows 2000 or later.

I hate Microsoft -.- I'm not going to fork out $200 for a less-than-worth-the-money-for-an-upgrade OS. It just sucks that the XP upgrade really is barely any cheaper.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:56 AM

How To Perform A Clean Vista Install Using A Vista Upgrade Product Key. You don't need the 98 disc to install a upgrade of Vista.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:36 PM

How To Perform A Clean Vista Install Using A Vista Upgrade Product Key. You don't need the 98 disc to install a upgrade of Vista.

That's shneaky :D
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users