Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Obesity In America Problems And Cures

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:19 PM

Before I get started I hope we can all agree that being overweight is a epidemic in America and that it is not healthy. This topic is not to offend the fat out there either.

Obesity is a HUGE problem in the USA. I have been watching Shacks big challenge and am amazed at how fat the kids in that school are.

We eat terrible. We dont exercise and then we get sick. People need knee replacements and such because of obesity. Kids and Adults get type 2 diabetes because of fat, even death because of fat.

What can we do to stop this?

Stopping this would do amazing things for america. It would make gas prices go down, health care go down, sickness and such go down. Its all related to being overweight?

Personally I think more exercise and a better diet. A boycott of fast(fat) food places who have tooooo many calories in the foods.

We need this in school lunches too. Less pepsi and sodas or any other sweet drinks as this is probably half if not more of the cause of being overweight.

It used to be a soda was a treat and you drank a little. Now its cheap and people drink it and drink it. Besides it only making you more thirsty its very bad for you.

I saw a pepsi I was given yesterday had 41 grams of sugar in ONE can. I hate the mess to tell you the truth. I drink it rarely but if I want something sugary to drink its gatorade for its thirst quenching and good taste plus it has a whole lot less sugar per 12 ozes.

Mostly for me I drink lots of water. Sugar has even been thought or confirmed? to pimples in teens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:39 PM

Perhaps one needs to back up a wee bit if we're going to discuss obesity.

First, there are several factors involved in obesity, including the three main ones ... a) genetics (a predisposition to overweight), (:thumbsup: environmental exposure to an energy-rich food supply and © personal behavior (lack of physical activity). And to add to this, there are specific diseases and specific medications that cause obesity.

I read several great articles a few years ago that changed forever my view of people who are obese ... something like ...

Think of skin cancer or melanoma - there has to be three factors present for this too ... a) your genes give you fair skin or skin predisposed to skin cancer (genetics), :flowers: exposure to sunlight and c) rarely taking personal protection measures like sunblocks and proper clothing, etc.

When people get skin cancer, we rarely hear, "Skin cancer is not a disease - they did it to themself" and why should we pay the medical costs involved for something self-inflicted? Nope, highly unlikely.

In fact, society has concluded even alcoholism is a disease. Is being fat thought of as a disease by most of us? Nope. Jokes are made about the person being too lazy to exercise, lacking in self-control and that 'they stink'. Wow, nice huh. We charge them more for plane rides, we snicker at them behind the backs and sometimes right to their faces. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a shred of compassion we show to the obese people in our society.

Yup, some of them can change things by changing their personal behaviour - but some cannot. Lots of factors are involved and yes, let's have healthy food options given to kids in schools and elsewhere, let's all eat wiser than we do and exercise more. But to blame obese people for the economic woes of any Country seems not only unjustified but a tad unfair.

So when we pass a fat person on the street, I no longer think 'Wow, maybe you shouldn't eat so much'. Instead I think, 'Wow, I bet your life is truly difficult both physically and mentally and I bet people are often mean to you'.

We'd get - and deserve - a mental 'slap upside the head' if we were so rude to people for any other reason - but being fat seems to be the last thing left in our society that we can dump on and not just get away with it, often we're applauded for our lack of caring.

(This isn't a tirade against you CGM - rather, I just have a tendancy to 'root for the underdog' - gentle smile).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:37 AM

lmao.....you forgot the biggest cause (at least here in America.) um...most people call it "overeating."

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

lmao.....you forgot the biggest cause (at least here in America.) um...most people call it "overeating."

I thought it was

being too short for your weight.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:21 AM

Genetics means you just have to eat less or better foods if you get fat as thats obvious...When you start getting fat its time to do something not keep going until you have to waddle like a penguin or get in wheel chair.

Overeating and eating the wrong foods must count to what 90% of the cases of obesity or more?

I do not believe its a disease no more than I believe drinking is a disease more of a very bad habit. I have watched fat people eat and they eat HUGE portions.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 26 July 2007 - 09:23 AM.

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:24 AM

Genetics means you just have to eat less or better foods if you get fat as thats obvious...When you start getting fat its time to do something not keep going until you have to waddle like a penguin or get in wheel chair.

Overeating and eating the wrong foods must count to what 90% of the cases of obesity or more?

I don't know what the percentage is, but to ignore overeating and lack of activity as the primary reason for obesity is dishonest at best.

#7 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:58 AM

I don't see that big of a problem with being obese. Many people are obese, and often stronger than non-obese people. The way I see it, as long as you can walk a few miles without dying, you're good. Not to mention the fact that nothing can be done about it anyway. It's a choice people make, like smoking, and you can't stop either. Although changing some of the school kid's lunches might help, it won't stop them from eating that junk food anyway when they go home.

Edited by solaris32, 26 July 2007 - 10:01 AM.

When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:02 AM

Ultimately, the solution is to educate about the effects of poor diet, too much food, and lack of exercise on individual health. Far too many people to do weight the effects to their health, for example, of reliance upon fast foods in their busy lives. I have seen people leave the gym and hit the nearest MacDonalds for a double-pounder and extra large french fries.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:14 AM

Americans have an extremely poor diet for starters. We eat a carb-rich diet, filled with cheese! Most of the lean protein people ingest has been deep-fried. Table sugar is an enemy (even in small quantities) to us all, yet most of our drinks are saturated with them.

MaraM, I mean no disrespect, because I do understand that some people (the minority of the population) is plagued by disorders predisposing them to weight-gain.

However, even those predisposed often accept failure. Sadly, most people don't know what to do to stop weight-gain, so they try a fad diet and get dissapointed. Furthermore, many lack the discipline to follow through with good health practices. I'm not gonna lie, good nutrition takes time, planning, and diligence. You have to plan out your meals, you have to cook, you have to clean. Try drinking a gallon of water a day! These are things many are content to avoid. So they eat crap from a box, and feel good because it has '50% Less Fat'. But none of those fats are good fats!

Compound this with the horrible notion that pervades America, in that the more you eat, the fatter you get. I eat 5-6 times a day. This is the way to keep your metabolism up and burn fat all day and night. Also, people are lazy, so they don't want to go walk for an hour. Dedicate 1/24 of your life to your body health! Can that really be so bad?

No, I think the majority of people are just apathetic. There is nothing but a little pain (physical and mental) between them and a healthier body. But we are SOFT, and it pains me to see it. And the system placates to these people, telling them it is not their fault. BS! Their life choices have made them the way they are.

Training sucks for a time, but then it becomes habit. Wouldn't it be nice to be prepared for battle, with the mental and physical fortitude necessary to survive? LOL, my warrior philosophy shining through!

Finally, we are stressed out to the max in this nation! Culturally, we are not taught relaxation and meditation techniques. High stress levels have been linked to a higher release of cortisol and adrenaline into the system. Cortisol is what tells your body to store fat, especially in the belly.

I think most of this is a cultural problem. Hopefully, as a society we can take some steps to deal with this epidemic.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#10 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:47 PM

No offense taken, I assure you, blueandgold04 :thumbsup:

In reality, I know some people simply don't exercise and persist in eating the wrong foods or simply too much food.

But when trundling down the street, the people who are cruel to those that are obese - they do not know if the fat person is one of the above, or there is a valid reason quite beyond their physical or emotional control.

I am nearly 5' 10" and struggled most of my life to get up to my minimum healthy weight ... granted I ran whenever the urge hit me, etc. But a sweet friend, nearly the same height weighed over a 100 pounds more than I. While I must admit I was a tad dubious when she maintained she ate far less that I did (I would hope so as I tried to stuff down at least one milkshake a day!), it wasn't until we took a vacation together that reality slapped me up side the head. Both of us weighed by a mutual friend (family physician) before leaving, both ate the same foods while away (only I ate more of everything) - and wow, she'd gained 6 pounds in 2 weeks and I'd lost 4. (Sadly, 'old age' is setting in and I no longer have to worry about loosing weight - hoot!).

Yes, I honestly agree - let's encourage everyone to eat better and exercise more - but next time we see an fat person on the street, may we please show some kindness. Gentle smile.

-----
And a personal 'rant' :flowers: ... any salesperson who walks up to a fat person entering their clothing store and says, "Sorry, we don't have anything in your size in our store" - a huge boo and hiss! Be kind and assume they are looking to buy a gift for a skinny, tall friend!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#11 whitebreadman1

whitebreadman1

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

Stop eating so much @#$% and get of your fat @#$.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

Do you think they "choose" hey I want to be fat skinny is so underrated....??

Not likely. They dont know that eating a bag of cheese puffs is bad for you. Once you pop you cant stop on pringles chips equals a lot of fat. I have to admit I have eaten a whole can of pringles myself for a quick snack on the go for a buck but the fat I ate that day was maybe 50 grams or more. Not something I do often yet a lot of kids do. Look at what they eat and adults eat. Its crazy.

Sodas were never meant to be a "thirst quincher" or a full time drink yet some people only drink these. It makes them fat and costs a lot of money per month.

Also, people are lazy, so they don't want to go walk for an hour.

If you are fat or trying to prevent getting fat walking burns too few calories per hour. Fast movements and such are needed. Jogging and weights help.

Lack of sleep causes fat too! 8 hours is said to be needed or close to it.

Me I can eat a lot and not get fat. Some are like this most are not and people need to get over it and eat healthy. When the fat starts packing on its time to stop eating so much fatty foods.

I like burgers and pizza. But I eat well most of the time and get a burger maybe once or twice a month. Watch some people you know who are overweight and see how many times they go out to eat each month. Fast food and even bar style places add tons of butter and such to everything adding hundreds if not thousands of calories to each meal! A classic burger plate I think its called at Ruby Tuesdays has over 1000 calories.

Safest thing to do is eat at home. I can cook anything they can for cheaper and healthier at home.

You know those man guts, they dont look good on a man and certainly not on a woman....Weird how all the fat wants to collect there isnt it? ha ha

One guy we know who is about 6' 4" or so said he has been growing his for years. He jokes about it sometimes he is like 300lbs or more but most of the fat is on his stomach.

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:41 PM

CGM the best way to cure this is with the workout regimen that I had growing up (and I assume you had it to). Everyweekend and all summer I worked with my Dad feeding the cows, watering the cows, loading straw bales onto wagons, moving grain, cleaning out the silo and cattle pens with only a shovel, chasing the newborns to tag them, loading cattle up for market, and butchering our own cattle and deer.

If more kids today would do things like that today or just turn the TV off and go play outside we would be in much better shape as a country.

Posted Image

#14 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

Stop eating so much @#$% and get of your fat @#$.

Feeling cranky? :thumbsup:

I'm going to simply hope you're joking as surely no one here at our Bleeping could possibly be quite that insensitive - gentle grin.

You're very right, CGM - it's possible many don't think about what they pop into their mouths. But on the other hand, food should also be fun so perhaps a great compromise would be to eat out rarely but when we do, eat anything we want without a thought to whether it's healthy or not.

Have a quick question about kids and their eating habits ... the kids don't usually do the grocery shopping so suspect it must be the parents who pack home pop, chips and fast foods. Easy for me to say ugh, I know - but even working full time I figured if it wasn't in the house they wouldn't eat it and in all honestly, it takes little time to whip together a huge salad and broil a hunk of protein/fish. (Gotta confess we had a terrific time eating anything we choose when we did eat out, though).

#15 whitebreadman1

whitebreadman1

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:15 PM

if you use enough crystal meth you can eat what you like (when you come down) and still look trim and terrific.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users