Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GuruX

GuruX

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

I have absolutely no idea what could be causing this so I'm not going to make any assumptions and I'll just tell you guys the symptoms. Recently I have been turning on my computer only to see a blank black screen on my monitor. My computer is on but it's like it doesn't recognize my keyboard or my monitor. The "thinking" light stays on my computer for a while then just goes idle. I have to restart my computer 6-7 times before I finally starts up properly. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:47 PM

Are there ever any errors reported? The problem could be a lot of things. If you have a spare power supply, you could try replacing the one you have installed now. Try taking out a memory stick one at a time; it could be faulty RAM.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

Have you tried a different monitor?
Check cables in the back of the monitor, and on the back of the PC.
It could be a faulty cord.
Have you tried updating the drivers for the monitor, and video card?
Make sure the video card is fully inserted into it's socket, and the cable from the monitor is fully seated in the socket.
Check the end of the monitor cable and make sure that there are no broken or bent pins.
Try running it in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
If the monitor works in Safe Mode, then it's probably your video card that's the problem.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 GuruX

GuruX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:26 AM

Have you tried a different monitor?
Check cables in the back of the monitor, and on the back of the PC.
It could be a faulty cord.
Have you tried updating the drivers for the monitor, and video card?
Make sure the video card is fully inserted into it's socket, and the cable from the monitor is fully seated in the socket.
Check the end of the monitor cable and make sure that there are no broken or bent pins.
Try running it in Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
If the monitor works in Safe Mode, then it's probably your video card that's the problem.

I couldn't be the monitor since the keyboard doesn't work either. The keyboard will have power but I'm not able to turn on any of the locks. Also, the problem occurs the instant I start the computer. If I even get to the point where I have the option of starting it in safe mode, then I wouldn't be having the problem on that occasion, so safe mode would not help =(

I'm starting to think it might be something in the registry, but I'll try playing around with the RAM thing once I get home from work today.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:55 AM

The next time you get into the computer, go to the Event Viewer and check for errors in the System sub-category. You can get there by going to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and pressing Enter. Let us know the errors (if any) that correspond to the time that the system malfunctioned.

Also, try a bootable utility to boot into DOS, Linux, or a PE (PreInstall) environment. The purpose here is to see if the behavior is repeated without Windows - if it does, then it's likely a hardware problem. If not, then it's likely a problem with Windows. You can try downloading a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive to do this, and then you'll also be able to check the health of your hard drive at the same time (if it works).

It can still be the monitor, or it can still be the keyboard - all the pieces are interconnected, and if one messes up it can mess up the others.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:02 AM

clean the computer, especially the cooling fans, as a power supply gets weaker it can't supply enough amperage to get everything started at bootup, the system loading after several tries is the clue here

it might only be one fan that's the troublemaker
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi GuruX. If this problem happens "instantly" then it has to be a hardware problem. Windows hasn't even had a chance to start loading. The booting process is hanging up during the BIOS initialization. The keyboard may actually be fine but is not being handled properly by the BIOS. That "thinking" light is actually the hard drive activity indicator. Upon being powered up or reset by the system, hard drives perform a self-test. If the activity light goes active for more than a second then this is an indication that the BIOS is accessing it for boot-up purposes.

The most likely causes for this startup problem are a marginal (barely working)
1) power supply
2) video adapter card or integrated into the motherboard
3) motherboard
4) RAM

The only way to conclusively track down this problem to swap them, out one by one, and see when the problem goes away. Of course, swapping out the motherboard typically isn't a very viable option. However, you can download, burn to a CD, boot off the CD and run Memtest+ to test your RAM. You will need a working computer to download the file and burn it to CD. When your system does start normally go into the BIOS configuration and set the device boot order so that it tries to boot from the optical drive before it tries to boot from the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users