Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Detect The Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:45 PM

Ok so i recently got the inspiron 1720 and it came with windows vista which i hate....i talked to a computer repair guy and he gave me a windows xp cd.....on startup i had the cd in and pressed F12 so i could boot from it. When i clicked on "Install Windows XP" it says it cant find my hardrive. I know its in there so what do i do? I am in desperate need of help. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dr. Joe, 24 July 2007 - 06:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:35 PM

guys i really need help soon because im leaving town soon and i need to get this done...im begging you guys for help

#3 mand0

mand0

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:42 PM

Try going into BIOS (press delete, F2, or whatever key during bootup) and look for an option for "Native SATA support" or "SATA support". Disable that and try again.

Edited by mand0, 24 July 2007 - 08:43 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 05:32 AM

First try Mand0's tip. If that doesn't work, then try this:

During the XP installation you'll be prompted for RAID/SCSI drivers (a little notice at the bottom of the screen to press F6) - you'll have to load the SATA drivers at this point using a floppy disk (you may have to get a USB floppy drive to do this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:55 AM

First try Mand0's tip. If that doesn't work, then try this:

During the XP installation you'll be prompted for RAID/SCSI drivers (a little notice at the bottom of the screen to press F6) - you'll have to load the SATA drivers at this point using a floppy disk (you may have to get a USB floppy drive to do this).

where do i get the drivers? i think im going to have to use the usb drive

#6 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:04 AM

You should have received a floppy disk with the SATA/RAID drivers on it for your particular drive. If you don't have one then try and le twindows install it's own drivers (you will get the choice after you press F6).
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#7 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

I didnt see any SATA Support option under the BIOS thing. And i dont know where to find the drivers. I dont even know what im searching for in order to find it. I am so desperate for help.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:26 AM

i went to dell and downloaded the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver" for your inspiron
it has a text setup.oem file so it should work

the files extracted are only 384KB, put them on a floppy
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

i went to dell and downloaded the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver" for your inspiron
it has a text setup.oem file so it should work

the files extracted are only 384KB, put them on a floppy

The computer i have is a laptop so there is no floppy drive. I got a flash drive. Will that work? You seem to know what you are talking about so could you give me just a step by step (including any links to where i can download drivers) to figure this out. Thank you so much

#10 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:27 PM

Ok so i just found out about slipstreaming.....is there a way i can do this? Again i really need a step by step of how to do this. Im begging for help. I also need someone to help me find the driver assuming thats what u use. Thanks in advance for any help! :thumbsup:

Edited by Dr. Joe, 25 July 2007 - 12:29 PM.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:45 PM

http://www.nliteos.com/

for putting drivers into a slipstream, but this is not an easy task

http://ftp.us.dell.com/SATA/R154200.EXE

your sata driver
Chewy

#12 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

OK so i assume that this is the correct drive for my inspiron 1720 160gig HD. I have that nliteos program too. Now how do you do this?

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

read the guide

http://www.nliteos.com/guide/
Chewy

#14 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:07 PM

OK so on the Task Selection screen on nliteos all i have to do is click on Integrate Drivers and Create a Bootable ISO and then when I click next it will go to a screen where you choose the ones you want to add. Then i download the driver you gave me and extract it and it should leave a .inf file. Then on nlite i choose this .inf file and click next until it shows "Make ISO" and click it and save it and then use ISOBuster to burn it and it should work right?

#15 Dr. Joe

Dr. Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 06:14 PM

can anyone confirm my step by step?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users