Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

music

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rlestra5

rlestra5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:36 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the site so I'd appreciate if everyone could help me along. My question is this: I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4700 system. The system works fine, I have virus protection and firewall protection. I have Corel Word Perfect, a CD Burning program, a PhotoShop program, etc. (all the things that would come packaged with a new comp) But now I'm wondering how I should go about getting music for my computer. I'd like to burn some CD's, and I'd like some music on my computer to listen to every once in awhile. In the past, I have experienced difficulty with programs like Kazaa, Morpheus, and Limewire. They maliciously install spyware, popups, and all other kinds of garbage onto your system that is difficult to remove afterward. Where can I download the music I want FREE? Obviously this is a concern for someone with a new system. I dont want to start having problems again. I'm assuming many of you on this site are experienced computer users, so I'm hoping someone can shed some advice on my question. Thanks again guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wally

Wally

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2005 - 05:18 PM

Hi there I've used shareaza in the past, didn't find any spyware in it.you can get it here. http://www.download.com/Shareaza/3000-2166...tml?tag=lst-0-1 give it a try nothing to lose.
Wally

#3 Valic

Valic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:29 PM

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the site so I'd appreciate if everyone could help me along. My question is this: I recently purchased a Dell Dimension 4700 system. The system works fine, I have virus protection and firewall protection. I have Corel Word Perfect, a CD Burning program, a PhotoShop program, etc. (all the things that would come packaged with a new comp) But now I'm wondering how I should go about getting music for my computer. I'd like to burn some CD's, and I'd like some music on my computer to listen to every once in awhile. In the past, I have experienced difficulty with programs like Kazaa, Morpheus, and Limewire. They maliciously install spyware, popups, and all other kinds of garbage onto your system that is difficult to remove afterward. Where can I download the music I want FREE? Obviously this is a concern for someone with a new system. I dont want to start having problems again. I'm assuming many of you on this site are experienced computer users, so I'm hoping someone can shed some advice on my question. Thanks again guys.

Try Ares

#4 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:08 PM

WinMX has been getting good reviews, check it out.

WinMX is a FREE file-sharing program like no other. It allows you to connect, download, and share files with MILLIONS of other users through the decentralized WinMX Peer Network. Once WinMX is installed, you'll have access to one of the largest and most diverse networks of shared media files in the world. And unlike many other 'peer to peer' software providers, we respect your privacy and will never sell you out to spyware. When you download WinMX, you're getting WinMX and only WinMX, no bundled spyware, no ads, no B.S.

http://www.winmx.com/

Tricky

Edited by trickydick, 31 January 2005 - 09:09 PM.

#5 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:57 AM

Kazaa, WinMX, Shreaza, Limewire. all those type of programs are illegal for because it is stealing music from the copywright owner. that's why they complain about it because they lose money. millions of dollars.

#6 chris t

chris t

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

[font=Arial][size=7]
a really good music images and videos program is limewire its free and reliable u can download
seriously millions of tracks and movies all in a click of a button try it!!

regards, teen computer fix itlimewire.com

#7 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

Sorry but i have to say i wouldn't touch Limewire with a barge pole . It's one of the most spyware ridden apps on the planet.
Shareaza or Azureus ( bit torrent) are both spyware free apps , but the biggest danger with file sharing programmes is the actual files you download . You are putting your trust in people you don't know , that the files you are downloading , contain what the sender says they do. In reality a file that is tagged as Snow Patrol for example , may contain something entirely different such as a trojan. Unfortunately you're not going to know this until you open the file to play it and bang you're infected.

As has already been said consider the legal aspects as well , and also your ISP who , if suspects you are using up a lot of bandwidth and suspects you are file sharing , may put restrictions on your download capabilities.

If after all this you wish to risk the security of your new pc , then the two apps i've mentioned would be worth a bash.

#8 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

if u want to download anything that IS NOT COPYRIGHTED then its not illegal, and you are free to download at your discretion. BUT if you do decide to download COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL on any p2p networks, its your head. personaly i wouldn't bother with any p2p for music becuase most of it is protected and could get you in trouble.and the way u get spyware from kazaa and limewire, bearshare, so on, is by downloading files whom people have added something extra, that you don't know about, this can also include malicious software or a virus, so use caution, as you maynot know from who you get your music/games/whatever.

Edited by ussr1943, 14 August 2006 - 07:37 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 02:05 AM

ALL P2P programs are extremely hazardous sources of viruses and malware, in fact, next to warez the primary sites.

#10 killer_kyle

killer_kyle

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

I use Limewire. If you get the latest version from the official site their is no bundled software.

Also, if you want to listen to music on your computer use Windows Media Player. Although you can't download the files you can listen to full songs if you click on the "Guide" button. You can also use an internet radio to lsiten to music.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users