Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Boot After Running Cyber Scrub

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 science of sound

science of sound

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

The title says it all - CyberScrub has changed some kind of start up information since it takes control of the swap file on a reboot in order to wipe various files, etc., and now it won't boot. I have run this app many times before with no problems... but I have recently cloned my orignal HD to a new Seagate 120MB drive. Windows has been working/booting without trouble for a week since this upgrade.

I am running XP on a Sempron 3000+, 512MB RAM, 120GB HD (100+MB free space). I have the recovery console installed, and I can boot to that, but if I choose XP I get a black screen.

Does anyone have an idea as to what CyberScrub does on a reboot? If they had a forum I would be there, but they don't. Nor do they have phone support!!! :thumbsup: So, I'm stuck with a non-working computer until they get around to calling me back. I'm unhappy to say the least. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:11 AM

I don't know anything about CyberScrub so I can't help you there. A couple of things you could try:
  • If you can boot into safe mode you could run the System File Checker (sfc /scannow).
  • If you can not boot into safe mode you could do a repair install of Windows.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 science of sound

science of sound
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the tips. I cannot boot into safe mode, only recovery console. I can't find definitive info about whether FIXBOOT will cause any damage to my data.

I've been searching for info on the boot process but I can't find anything definitive. In what order does XP utilize the MBR, bootsector, boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect.com (what follows these I don't know). I am getting to the boot.ini and then the PC stops (screen goes black) when I make a selection.

Tim

Edited by science of sound, 26 July 2007 - 09:10 AM.

#4 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

If you have Recovery Console as a boot option then you have had to have the XP OEM installation CD. That means you can do a Repair Install using the CD by booting from it and answering affirmatively when asked by the installer if you want to do a Recovery Install. Do not choose to run the Recovery Console from the install CD. The wording for the repair install question is "To repair the selected XP installation press R".

After a repair install you will have to re-activate XP and re-install all the hotfixes again. However, all your programs, files and settings will remain intact. Here's a good guide with screenshots of the process:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:45 PM

fixboot will not corrupt your data - it will merely rewrite the boot sector of the hard drive so that you can boot. You can corrupt things using bootcfg /rebuild fairly easily if you enter stuff you aren't sure of. Fixmbr has a higher chance of corrupting data, but it's not very likely.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users