Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring Outlook.pst

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hazrat71

hazrat71

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

I recently upgraded via Sony's free offer from Windows XP to Vista Business (32-bit). It has been a total nightmare :huh: !!

Right now I have have two problems:
1. I can't transfer Outlook.pst from my external hard drive to the appropriate folder on my computer
2. I am not the Administrator of my computer

I had my computer for approximately 6 months before I upgraded to Vista. I backed up all my files onto a removable hard drive (thank God because my hard drive crashed shortly after I did the upgrade). Vista wants me to use Easy Transfer, but I don't have an old computer that I want to get info from, I want to get it from the removable disk, and I can't figure out how to do that - if it is even possible.

I don't have problems moving any of my other files over, but I am trying to transfer my Outlook.pst file from the ext. hard drive, and it won't let me access to the Local Settings folder in C:\Users\Administrator, so I can drill down to where (I think) the file is located that I want to replace. When I try, it tells me I don't have permission to access the folder and gives me the option to change the security settings.

I tried to change the security settings in the security tab (I am the administrator), but I keep getting an error message: "an error occurred while applying security settings." I click "Continue," get the same message again, click "Continue" again and then it says: "Unable to save permission changes on Local Settings." I can hit "Retry", but I get the same results and still no access.

It also does this on any other folder I try to change permission settings for. The folder shows that the administrator has full access, but I am trying to allow the user "Molly" to have the same access. For some reason, I a not recognized as the Administrator

I was able to do this before I activated Windows on Friday (don't know if that made a difference).

Any help or push in the right direction is appreciated. :huh:

Molly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:43 AM

Ok to transfer Outlook.pst you have to open Outlook and go to >File>import/export and follow the prompts.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:49 AM

If you're not the Administrator copying the Outlook files to the Administrator account won't work for you. And, even if you do manage to copy it there, you'll still have to use the Outlook Import Wizard to import the contents of the PST file into Outlook (as Monty007 stated).

As for the security settings, likely you don't have the permissions necessary to modify the security settings on those files/folders. To get the permissions you'll have to take ownership of the files/folders. You can do this by selecting the Advanced button on the Security tab, then selecting the Owner tab, then select Edit and you'll be able to take ownership.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hazrat71

hazrat71
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

I tried taking ownership per your instructions, but I am still denied access to the Local Settings folder. Maybe it's because it's an old XP designation (the folder was a shortcut).

I don't think it matters anymore because I have access to the Vista equivalent "Local." I was able to finally find the Outlook.pst file on my computer and successfully import the old outlook.pst file from my external hard drive. Yippee!!!!

Thanks for the help!!! :huh:

Edited by hazrat71, 31 July 2007 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users