Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Old Vs. New Versions Of Avg A/v Free

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

Hi,

Probably stupid question time, but... :flowers:

I'm going to be getting a new replacement laptop and installing AVG anti-virus Free once again. I still have the old .exe installation file called avg75free_432a904.exe, which is 17.4 megs.

I see that the newest version is avg75free_476a1048.exe, and is 22megs.

When I check what version of the program I currently have installed, it says 7.5.476, which seems to match the new installation .exe, right?

I couldn't remember if I had seen anything about the new installation of AVG having stuff in it that's turned off or that it's problematic vs. older versions. But I'm guessing that I started off with 7.5.432 and did the various updates over the past x-number of months, which brought it up to 7.5.476, which is the newest version available for download. Does that sound right?

So is there any reason to *not* just download the newest avg75free_476a1048.exe and install that, as compared to installing my old avg75free_432a904.exe and updating it through the program itself?

(I'm guessing I should probably just download the newest version installation .exe, but I wanted to be sure there wasn't something in the newest version that would make using my old installation .exe and updating that better for some reason...)

Thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

Haven't heard of any problems with the latest download, so that's the one I would install.
When a newer version comes out, it's included in your daily updates.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:31 PM

Will do -- thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users