Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ever Done Something Stupid?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

I have been dealing with a flareup of gout, and the medication that I take for it reduces my attentions span to the point that I'm a menace to navigation if I get behind the wheel of my car. Once while on this medication I had the occasion to try to add up a parts list for a client and couldn't remember if I had just entered the amount in the calculator or if I had already added it, yeah I could probably hide my own easter eggs.

Well Saturday morning I had to medicate myself, and later that morning discovered that there was no hot watter, so I go to the water heater to discover that the pilot light had gone out. I go get my long nose lighter and proceed to relight the pilot, the flame heats up the thermal coupler, I'm able to turn the valve to the on position and the main burner comes on...and then goes off. Without even thinking what I'm doing I reach over and turn the valve back to the pilot position, depress the button to open the valve, and insert the lighter and proceed to trim my eyebrows, burn off my eyelashes, and trim my mustache and beard. My receding hair line has now receded another half inch, I'm going to be funny looking for the next couple of weeks, but that was the extent of the damage, I escaped being burnt...other than my hair.

Needless to say that in the future I will curtail my activities when medicated to activities like holding down the couch, if I can figure out how to operate the remote control I may even watch TV. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

Geesh dc3! I am glad you are ok. That could have been so much worse. Luckily you can blame it on your meds though. LOL

Oh and btw.. no, NO I have never ever done anything stupid as far as I know. Not even ever!

I categorically deny...

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#3 tenacity

tenacity

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Yes, yes I have.

Way too many to list.

Good thing your alright though.

Holding down the couch huh? Hmm. Just how much meds are you taking? :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

One 50mg capsule of Indomethacin will keep me entertained for three or four hours.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

One smoke grenade that I set off in my hand will keep me and a cup of ice water entertained for 3 hours... so yes, that is something stupid I have done.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:10 AM

Geesh dc3! I am glad you are ok. That could have been so much worse. Luckily you can blame it on your meds though. LOL

Oh and btw.. no, NO I have never ever done anything stupid as far as I know. Not even ever!

I categorically deny...

I believe you when you say this...honest I do! :flowers:

By the way Pandy, arrr...what kind of ship lays shivering on the bottom of the sea????

A nervous wreck. :thumbsup:

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:19 AM

I categorically deny...

I believe you when you say this...honest I do! :flowers:

By the way Pandy, arrr...what kind of ship lays shivering on the bottom of the sea????

A nervous wreck. :thumbsup:

You would not have any way of knowing but that is a quite fitting little funny right about now! :trumpet:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

One 50mg capsule of Indomethacin will keep me entertained for three or four hours.

Indomethacin has no such affect on me.
Have you asked Doc for a possible substitute? Colchicine used to be the drug of choice.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:33 AM

Indomethacin has no such affect on me.
Have you asked Doc for a possible substitute? Colchicine used to be the drug of choice.

I'm one of the few that have this type of reaction to it, but it is the best I've used to treat the gout. If I have a flareup I can't work as an electrician so I may as well stay home and be stupid for a while.

I have been able to treat the gout dietarily for the last twenty years and just recently it seems that darn near everything I eat causes a flareup. I will have a blood test done next month for the serum uric acid and triglyceride levels, after that my doctor can prescribe allopurinol which will help keep the uric acid level down.

Edited by dc3, 24 July 2007 - 11:39 AM.

#10 twardnw

twardnw

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

me and some of my buddies...

well, just let me show you

www.stuntdummies.com

Edited by twardnw, 24 July 2007 - 01:38 PM.

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:40 PM

Uh lets see...

Drag Racing on dirt roads...check
Drag Racing on the parkway ... check
Backyard Wrestling/MMA...check
Throwing fireworks at fellow employees...check
Lighting co-workers on fire with solvent ... check
nope never done anything stupid

BTW: @ 24 I now have to wear a knee brace to keep myself up on bad days, i eat a bottle of aspirin a week to keep my back from killing me, bad shoulder Do Not Try this at Home means DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME I can assure you.

Posted Image

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:11 PM

I've never, ever done anything stupid at the time, or so I thought at the time.

A day or so later, sometimes just a few hours later, I've been apprised otherwise!

Pray for me today? To not be such tomorrow?

Smile - you're on KoanKamera!
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:41 AM

I've only done something stupid if you consider the fact that I walk around the majority of the time chewing on my toes because I usually have my foot in my mouth!! :thumbsup:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

I've only done something stupid if you consider the fact that I walk around the majority of the time chewing on my toes because I usually have my foot in my mouth!! :thumbsup:

I resemble that remark! :flowers:

#15 Manefa Jones

Manefa Jones

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:54 AM

:flowers: Funny =)

I'm always do very stupid things! Cause I like it! But sometimes I really have great problems of my stupid behaviour =) :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users