Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Will Not Update, But Can Download

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:58 AM

Trying to help a friend remotely

Basically they have XP, Norton, and pretty nice system.

Suddenly Norton reports its been switched off, and they cannot get it back on again. They try to update Windows, Norton, Spyware Doctor, Office etc and even though PC can access sites, when they try to install it just crashes.

No obvious viruses or Trojans seen but Windows seems totally screwed up.

Can anyone suggest a reason for PC being unable to apply updates ???? They also reported that when trying to access SWD, Microsft or Norton sites they get a "Page cannot be found" message, but other sites None Security" access OK.

I am stuck between a Reload of XP and a reformat.........because its tough to get to the bottom of their problem especially as most of their stuff is in German /French and English. System Repair, System Restore just made Windows worse.

A local guy tried removing Norton and Office, but it has not made much difference. I am pretty confused and apologise if this is confusing as well. Distance and lack of clear info is difficult.

Edited by SaxonManFinland, 24 July 2007 - 02:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:04 AM

These are symptoms of an infection - I'd either suggest going through the advice at these links:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

Or going with the format and reinstall to start over fresh.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

Just to update peeps for info.

Nothing worked, all the usual XP fixes, registry, soft re install fixed nothing, same problems with updates failing, I.E locked out etc.

Started FULL INSTALL. Format failure, reboots itself. Managed eventually to force a quick format, XP dll's started to fail to copy. Some stuff copied, but lots of important stuff failed.

Replaced HDD...........Worked like a dream. No Problem. System fully functioning.

So either Corrupted HDD or a deep and nasty infection.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:44 AM

Sorry to hear that it was the hard drive, but glad that you got it sorted out! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:20 PM

It's fortunate that you happened to think of replacing the hard drive. With drive manufacturers cutting costs so aggressively it's no wonder drive failures are so common. They can't lower the costs of the components any more so they have cut back on QA and QC testing, lowering labor expenses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users