Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Licence Trouble - Help Me Please!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rutz

Rutz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

Hi, I am new and would really like some help. I tried to download a newer version of windows media player.
It all went well, but when i restarted my computer, it came up with an error saying something like "Windows has a problem with your licence and cannot continue" and then shutdown.
The only way i can get into the computer is through "safe mode", but from there i am stuck as to how to fix the problem. I tried uninstalling the media player that i had downloaded. It reverted back to the previous version that was installed. That didnt work, so now i am stumped. I am not very good with computers so could you please help me!!!
thanks.

Rutz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:25 PM

Where did you download WMP from? also what version where you upgrading from and what version were you upgrading to?

Posted Image

#3 Rutz

Rutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

I got the file off morpheus and i think it was v7 or 8 that i was originally using, but I'm not sure. Downloaded WMP11

Edited by Rutz, 23 July 2007 - 11:29 PM.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:49 PM

more then likely you have downloaded a virus with WMP11. You should probably consult with the HJT team here on BC. HighJackThis Preperations.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 23 July 2007 - 11:50 PM.

Posted Image

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

Follow these instructions for posting a HJT log if you choose to.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Remember HJT is busy, it might take a few days for a responce.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 Rutz

Rutz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Guys, I will try that, but just a couple of quick questions
- Can I install and run new anti virus/trojan software using only "Safe mode"
- If so, whats the best way to do it.

I am currently on a work computer

Thanks heaps :thumbsup:

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:23 AM

If you can download the utility that you wish to use and transfer that to a CD or have the utility on a CD you can install it in safe mode, and running that type of scan in safe mode actually is the best way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 foghat

foghat

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

Morpheus is a dangerous program. It's been my experience that it's a malware, virus factory.

#9 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:37 AM

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I'm stumped as to why you wouldn't install WMP11 from the Microsoft site as it's FREE, and, in my opinion, it's Microsoft's best product. :thumbsup:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...11/default.aspx

I agree with Foghat, Morpheus is virus-city...always try and get software from the original vender or a legitimate distributer like Majorgeeks, FileHippo or wherever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users