Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Photosmart 4208 Keeps Installing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bratty burnette

bratty burnette

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hi!

Every time I start my computer my HP printer installs itself. At first, I thought it was updating drivers (well that is what it says). At this time I have three instances of it listed in printer folder. I'm not sure it is a printer problem because my previous printer (also a HP) did the same thing. The box the printer came in said it was Vista compatable.

When I click on the printer icon in the notification tray, it shows that I have one document printing. All the time the printer is sitting there doing nothing. I try canceling the document and it sometimes shows that it is printing, other times it says it is deleting.

After the process is finished, I have to keep adjusting settings to get it to print. I'm really not sure what it is that I do that gets it to print (I have trouble remembering things). I know that I have to delete all but one of the installed printers.

Is this a common problem or is it just me? (Oh yeah, I'm also paranoid as far as this computer and printer are concerned.)

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:51 AM

I suspect that this is a common issue with printers as we see it a lot at work. Although the box says Vista compatible, the drivers that it comes with (on the CD), may not be. I'd suggest visiting the HP website and downloading the Vista drivers for your printer.

Then I'd try and uninstall the printer and it's drivers from the PC. Then install the new, Vista compatible drivers and all "should" be well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

Hi John,

I deleted all of the HP files I could find I went to their website to download drivers and such. Every time I plugged in my printer, I kept getting a message "detected new hardware.' No matter what I clicked on it would not go any futher. All it would do was to nag about not finding drivers. I finally had to use my cd to get it to install.

For some reason I was not able to install if from the website. When I did, it complained that there were no drivers.

I won't know until tommorrow whether my problem has been solved. So far. so good.

Thank you.

Donna

#4 bratty burnette

bratty burnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hi John,

Just wanted to let you know that my printer seems to be ok. There was an update on it that came available today. Thank you. I love this site. (If I new how, I'd put the clapping emotico here).

Thank you again!

Donna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users