Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate Is Blocking Posts To This Website

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:18 PM

I don't use Sygate, but I am working with somebody on the HJT forum who has Windows ME. She was running without a firewall, so I suggested she install Sygate, because I know it works with that OS. She managed to get it installed, but now she cannot post replies to her topic from her computer. She had to use another computer to convey this information to me.

Anybody here using Sygate? If so, please share your configuration information.

Also, if anybody knows of a good online Sygate tutorial, please let me know.

TIA --

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:53 AM

Hey DaveM59,

Here is a pretty good Sygate Tutorial: Sygate Firewall Help Site - Basics.

I use Sygate PF. Don't have it configured in a different way.
What kind of info would you like to know?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

As I remember, all she has to do is to go to application configurations and "always" allow whatever browser she is using access.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:21 PM

Hi guys,

I should have included a link to the topic:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/99679/still-infected-or-something-else-wrong/

TMack, thanks for the link, I will pass it on to her. The closing of the Sygate forums has created a real information gap for those who want to continue using the program.

As to what exactly the problem is -- from what you and John are saying, it must be that she has managed to alter the default settings. I suspect she has been "answering questions" without really understanding what firewalls do, that's probably why she can't post replies here. I did some googling and found a topic (did not bookmark it, sorry) that seemed to indicate that the default setting of blocking ICMP might cause problems like this. However your experience indicates that this is not the problem.

Oh, and congrats on your promotion to BC Advisor!

John, thanks also for your reply, I will suggest to her that she first just try allowing full access for IE.

Any further suggestions or comments are welcome.

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users