Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Flash Drive Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cal State

Cal State

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:13 PM

Hello there,

I am having a problem transfering files from my computer to my usb flash drive. The flash drive that I am using is 'unknown'(i forgot the name) because duct tape is wrapped around it and I don't want to rip it up. Anyway, it holds 8gb. Right now it is empty.

I made a backup of my system files(backup.bfk) and the size is 4.28gb which is enough for my usb flash drive. When I drag the backup.bfk file into the flash drive, it says that there's not enough disk space. How can I get around this? I would write it to a dvd but I don't have dvd-rw. Before I transfered 3gb into my flash drive with no problems, and now it is acting up. If anyone have a solution, please post asap thanks.

> windows xp sp2 (with latest patches)
> usb flash drive (holds 8gb)
> backup.bfk (4.28gb)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

I knew that duct tape is for fixing ski pants but a flash drive? :thumbsup: Sorry, can't resist.

Check the flash. Control panel, Admin tools, Computer management, Disk management - it'll tell you if it's NTFS or FAT format.

If the flash is not formatted as NTFS but FAT the capacity drops like a rock. Google it, I would not be surprised at 1/2 capacity. So maybe 4gig will fit? Can you cleanup the source by some 300meg and try again?

#3 Cal State

Cal State
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:43 AM

Yea duct tape mixed with clear tape, still works like a charm =)

Anyway, I googled about the situation you pointed out. My flash drive is FAT32 and so I converted it to NTFS. The problem is fixed now. Here is where I got my information, keep it bookmarked for future reference if you like-I know I will.

http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm
http://www.ntfs.com/faq.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users