Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cymeadows

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

XP user, Notebook takes about 22 to 27 mins to boot. Norton takes most of that time i.e. loading and updating definitions. Once boot is completed operation is suitabily fast. I had problems with Ad and Spyware. Purchased Spyware Detector and Max Reg Cleaner. Found 31 problems with spyware and over 200 regitry problems. Then I had a problem with Norton and Spyware Detector confliting. This made start up even slower. Went to msconfig start up tab uncheck Spyware Detector and Max Reg to not start. That helped. However, start up still take over twenty mins.
I came back to bleeping computer to start up list tab, downloaded "Autoruns" and ran program. My start up looks like a two dictionaries. Viewed Startup forum. I am more in the dark than before I started.
I must have a dissconnect in my brain. I still can not find a status fo any of the entries. When I look at Autoruns "Everything" tab it is very intimadating.
What is a good starting point when useing Autoruns? Where do I find a Status? I have viewed the "Start Up Data base" however I did not find any of the entries in my scan. I did a search on a Display Panning CPL Extension File not found: deskpan.dll "Unknown : the status of this entry is unknown at this time and more research is necessary"
Please point me in the right direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:05 AM

If there are any entries that you are unsure about you could post them here. I'm sure the members here would be willing to help you identify them.

Deskpan.dll is associated with the Display Panning CPL Extension and used to change the way the picture is presented on screen. It's from Microsoft.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 vengadavan

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

There will be lot of entries in the AUTORUNS thats true,
but you can reduce that,
first select the EVERYTHING tab,
and get into OPTIONS and check the HIDE MICROSOFT ENTRIES
now refresh the AUTORUNS (you will find the refresh button in the toolbar)
now the list would have been reduced considerably

#4 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

A more user-friendly program is StartupCPL by Mike Lin. When installed, it creates an entry in your Control Panel labeled "Startup" - double clicking on it will show you the startups for your current profile. It's available for free from here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cymeadows

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:33 AM

You all never cease to amaze me. I was able to sort through the maze of proccesse. Found which ones were nessasary for start up and the ones which where not. I have learned so much from you all.
This has allowed me to help others in ouir community that baby sat Moses.
Cy :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users