Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux On A Laptop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hi

I have a Compaq Presaio notebook and would like to install a version of Linux on it.

I have read lots of information on Linux and recently installed Ubuntu on my desktop but am not that familiar with it yet. I would like your advice and suggestions for a distro to use on the laptop. I instend to use this laptop mainly for surfing the internet over a wireless network, and some basic home computing tasks. I am looking for a 'light' version of linux that is easy to use (more similar to Windows the easier the migration will be), will run smoothly on this laptop without too much strain, is stable and supported (an IRC channel will suffice) and can be used as a Live CD to try out the flavour.

All suggestions welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:00 PM

Uh, Ubuntu has great wireless support as does Fedora 7 (both are "heavy" distros and F7 requires a DVD drive for the Live DVD). the new Debian may support your wireless or Xubuntu might (its a light form of Ubuntu).

I personally havent tried Xandros or Freespire (both of which are touted as being very Windows like) and do not know how their Wireless support is or the status of a Live CD for either.

PCLinuxOS and Mepis are aimed at "entry level" Linux users and comes in a Live CD (both if Im not mistaken are based off of Ubuntu or Debian)

I would suggest staying with a Ubuntu based distro as "immersion" is usually the easiest way to pick new things up. (at least for me)

Posted Image

#3 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:04 PM

PClinuxOS, is very simple, I used to run it, until I bought Xandros Home- Premium 4.0. Both are very nice.

PCLOS (PClinuxOS) has a live CD, and it is very useful, Xandros to my knowledge does not.

I prefere Xandros, its wireless networking capabilities are really easy to set up and are very reliable.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#4 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

I believe the point made about 'immersion' in similar products will help me learn 'Linux' much faster so I'm swaying towards Xubuntu most at the moment. Is it really much lighter than other distros as the download is still around 565MB which is not far off many other big distros.

Networking ease is attractive to me as that is what I'm mainly going to use this distro for but looking at Xandros seems only to offer paid-for distros or free trial downloads - I want to start by looking at just the free versions before I go into anything else.

Anyone have any experience working with Xubuntu or have any other suggestions for distros?

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:08 AM

You might want to try Puppy Linux. It is very light I'm not sure about its wireless networking, Acklan should know more about it try sending him a PM. -Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 Sixstringartist

Sixstringartist

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:39 AM

Linux comes in many different flavors and after a while they all taste like chicken. Some grilled, some fried. Its all about preference and its hard to tell someone what distro would be best for them. Personally I learned on Debian and found it very enjoyable.

What type of wireless network will you be running on? WPA can be a real pain to get working.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:54 PM

If you like Ubuntu, Xubuntu is right in the same direction. the biggest differance is that instead of using Gtk+ Xfce only uses Gtk so alot of the frills are gone from the Desktop.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users