Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jobe Smith

Jobe Smith

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 02:18 AM

Just installed a new mother board http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-135-157&depa=0

Whenever i have power to the board, and i turn the power switch, the processor fan just moves a tiny bit, then stops. Power supply fan doesn't turn on. Mother board LED is active. I do have spacers on the mother board.
Static shock maybe?
Whatcha think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:45 AM

I had a similar problem with my Asus A7N8X-E deluxe mobo, connected everything up the green led came on, pressed the power switch and the fan spun for a second and nothing.

Sent it back obviously faulty!!!!! Did this several times, I even bought a msi mobo as I thought there was a bad batch, the MSI just had the fans spinning no post!!!! I even exchanged my CPU and that didn't alter anything.

Arrrrrrrrrhhhhh!!!!!

Went to the nforce forum frrst thing they said was bad PSU not got enough power, I thought I've got a 350w P4 ready PSU it says so on the side but it wasn't a named brand, when I bought a enermax 465 plugged it in I finally got the post screen :thumbsup:

If you are having similar problems and you have a naff PSU I suspect it's that causing the problem rather than you having a faulty mobo. Especially if the PSU came with a case, one of my friends had the same problem and he had to buy another PSU as well.

If I had really read the manual with my Mobo it even says if the PSU isn't powerful enough the board will simply fail to post.

If it's not the PSU then I'm afraid it's going to be a process of elimination.

Edited by stidyup, 28 January 2005 - 03:57 AM.

#3 Jobe Smith

Jobe Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:53 AM

Tried a different PSU. Same exact thing happended, the one im running is 460w. I took it to a computer place before, think they flipped the euro switch in the back? If so, tell me about it plz.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:44 PM

What CPU and Ram do you have in that MB? Remove everything (HDD's too) so you just have CPU, Ram and video. See if you can get a screen and see the ram count.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Jobe Smith

Jobe Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:02 PM

Took out everything, gave power only to the Heat synch fan, and the mother board.
Took it to a computer shop today.
Apparently I needed all the brass spacers in, a couple of them were missing.
Do you think this would've caused the mother board to short out?

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 06:07 PM

That sounds pretty likely to be what happened. Is it working now?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Jobe Smith

Jobe Smith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 07:38 PM

No, apparently real damage was done to it, gonna need to get a new main board all together i guess.

Dealing with PCI express:
Should u get a mother board and video card that are made by the same company? Perform better maybe? open for suggestions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users