Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Guild Wars

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 fritzle

fritzle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:05 PM

Just curious... any Guild Wars players here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

Ya I play Guild Wars. I just recently beat factions, and decided I wanted prophecies and nightfall. I went to Sam's Club, and saw a trilogy pack with them all for only 35$! I'm thinking of almost buying another one just to sell it. I could make some serious money off that.

Anyways, I'm really liking prophecies and nightfall. I heard that new expansion, Eye of the North should be pretty fun too. Also, can't wait for beta testing of Guild Wars 2, hopefully I can get in it (and have a new computer :thumbsup: ).

My in game name is Necro Clock, add me if you like!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 fritzle

fritzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:05 PM

Ahh, I bought Guild Wars about two months after it came out. I have beaten prophecies ( the first one ) with my ele, and I'm working on beating all three. The other two campaigns are awesome. Nightfall is by far the longest, but the Heroes are awesome! They are really handy if you cant find any real people to go beat up on monsters with.

I saw Eye of the North, that looks cool, and I will probably get it a while after it comes out, but Guild Wars two...ehh probably not. Its supposed to be a lot like WoW, I don't know if the characters are going to be really toon-ish like on WoW...but I am definitely not going to get GW2, I like Guild Wars just the way it is. Here is an article I found on Guild Wars 2 Guild Wars 2 Article.

You can find me in game as F R I T Z L E.

MOD EDIT: Fixed link so it links to correct site ~ stevealmighty

Edited by stevealmighty, 25 July 2007 - 03:43 PM.

#4 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

I've got some questions about Guild Wars. First, is it a multiplayer game only, or can I buy it and still do the quests and stuff offline? Second, Does it cost to play online with an account, like WoW? If so, how much? And third, how good is it compared to other games like Neverwinter Nights and WoW? Thanks.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Guildwars is a MMORPG and has free online gameplay. I dont think it has an Offline mode like Diablo did. Never played WoW or Neverwinter Nights cant stand the thought of having to pay constantly to play a game and to my knowledge they also dont have an Offline mode (correct me if Im wrong and I will probably go buy one of them!).

I liked it when I was playing it but its very hard to install on Fedora for some reason (me thinks its me drive) so I live without it for now.

Posted Image

#6 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Neverwinter Night's campaign can be played offline, exactly like diable. And as far as I can tell, it's free if you want to play online. Online works like Diable I believe, in that you simply do the campaign with friends.

So your'e saying if I get Guild Wars I HAVE to play online? That stinks :thumbsup:.

Edited by solaris32, 25 July 2007 - 04:27 PM.

#7 fritzle

fritzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:32 PM

Solaris,

Guild wars is a MMORPG, so you can only play it online. When you buy the game,you make an account with either ArenaNet or NCsoft, and thats what you play from. The only cost of the game is the game itself, you do not need to pay a monthly fee to play the game, which is why a lot of people choose it over WoW and others.

I believe that Guild Wars is much better than WoW and other games because of many reasons. First of all, the characters aren't toonish at all like on WoW and you can only play as the human race. Unlike WoW, there is a level cap (how high of a level you can be). The level cap is 20, it may sound like it sucks, I thought it did too, but once you get into the game, you will realize that this is a very good idea. It helps regulate the game play so that you might have to fight a level 120 player or NPC while you are only level 10. You can fight monsters over level 20, but that is not until later in the game. I believe that the highest level of monsters is 32, but that is for the end of the game. To progress in the game, there is a system of missions and quests that you have to do. If you don't want to do all of the missions and quests, you don't have to, but you may not be able to explore certain areas of the game. I'm not sure how it works on WoW and others, but there are towns and outposts where you go and interact with other players, sell things to merchants, buy things, and much more. If you want to go do a quest, mission, or just go fight monsters and farm (killing monsters and getting loot to sell) with other players, you can create a party of up to 8 players. If nobody is available to create a party with, you can use NPC henchmen, who follow you around and kill things with you, or heroes, which are available in Nightfall, the third campaign of Guild Wars. When you start your character, you pick the class that you want your character to be. There are 10 different character classes which are Warrior, Ranger, Monk, Necromancer, Elementalist, mesmer, Paragon, Dervish, Assassin, and ritualist. Once you pick your character class, you can choose a secondary class. Once you choose your primary profession, you must stick with that profession. There are sets of armor that are only available to your character class, not generic armor that anybody can wear.

There are many differnt aspects of the game, I just gave you the few basic ones to give you a better understanding of the game and how it works.
Hope I helped,
Frit

#8 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

You did very much, big thank you :thumbsup: .

Edited by solaris32, 25 July 2007 - 10:12 PM.

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:16 PM

will have to look into Neverwinter Nights then. Yeah I hate playing only online its bad when you just start out and everyone else is like a level 10 and your a level 0 getting it handed to you on a silver platter (had the same thing happen in City of Villains too)

Posted Image

#10 fritzle

fritzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:02 PM

will have to look into Neverwinter Nights then. Yeah I hate playing only online its bad when you just start out and everyone else is like a level 10 and your a level 0 getting it handed to you on a silver platter (had the same thing happen in City of Villains too)

Actually, its not like that at all. When you start the game, you start out level 1, and most of the people that are with you are around the same level, but it doesnt really matter what level they are. The only time you fight other players is when you go to a PvP arena (player vs player). The monsters in the beginning of the game are even your level, and easy to kill. Its not like what you said at all.

#11 jball007

jball007

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

I love both NWN (1&2) and all of the Guildwars :thumbsup:

Guildwars is a great counteragent to WOW... Its free and still copetitive <-- I can't spell >.<

"I Came to Bring The Pain"

Posted Image

System: Core 2 Duo @ 2.44, Asus WIFI P5B mobo, Radeon 1950XT gcard, 2x1GB Memory, LITE-ON x2 DVD/CD drives, Aerocool Case, AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler, AeroCool 92mm Heatsink W/2 80m Fans Mounted on it, (3) 120m Fans on Case, (1) 220m Fan on Case, 150g HDD 10K RPM (For random stuff), 75G HDD 15k RPM (For Gaming)... Thermaltake (4) 12v rail PSU...THE END!!

#12 fritzle

fritzle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:55 PM

Guild wars Pwns! :thumbsup:

#13 Crimson_Kitten

Crimson_Kitten

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

GW Player here.

Look me up as:

Ren Mei

#14 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Noble Omen, here!
I made some comments about GW in the other current thread about it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/57054/guild-wars/
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users