Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Messages

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

Hi all, I have a friends computer that I've spent the last three days getting rid infections because there hasn't been any protection for the last year and defragging the hdd which had never been defragged. After three days of playing with this I've run out of energy to pursue this so I'm asking for help, I have everything running smoothly now except for two error messages that are appearing on the desktop when starting, these are:

1) This application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found.
Reinstalling the application may fix this.

2) Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\j0221439.dll

The OS used is XP Home, my question is can I use the repair disc to fix these, and do I have to use the specific disc that came with the computer or can I use mine?

Are alternatives for restoring these?

I will appreciate any help that I can get, I'm so close to having this done.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:59 PM

As a result of cleaning the malware, it has left behind references to things no longer there. I suggest posting in the HJT forum.

MFC71.DLL is spyware/adware.

Error loading C:\WINDOWS\system32\j0221439.dll

That looks extremely suspect as well. I don't think you are done disinfecting.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

I'm sure whomever appreciates your hard work.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:05 AM

As a result of cleaning the malware, it has left behind references to things no longer there. I suggest posting in the HJT forum.

Good luck. :flowers:

I have taken you advice and posted a HJT log and hopefully this will end this, I'm on day four now, and if this doesn't solve the problem I think I will take this computer down to the river and baptize it. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:13 AM

Good luck. :flowers:

I have taken you advice and posted a HJT log and hopefully this will end this, I'm on day four now, and if this doesn't solve the problem I think I will take this computer down to the river and baptize it. :thumbsup:

lol!! Now that is funny.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:50 AM

I was able to get rid of both messages, the first message I thought I was going to have to install the MFC71.DLL but when I went to run a scan with AVG the same message appeared. I deleted AVG and reinstalled it and the message is gone, the file must have been damaged while removing infected files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users