Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Anyone Help Me

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 neilhumphreys

neilhumphreys

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:50 AM

Hi All

I have an Acer Aspire 1690WLCi running windows Xp. Today when it booted up I got the following message:

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 (build 082) v6.2.11a

all rights reserved..

PXE-E61:Media test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Operating system not found

The system then just hangs there. I have no idea where this has come from and need help to get out of this situation.

Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Regards

Neil

(Moderator edit: added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 23 July 2007 - 11:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:42 PM

Hi neilhumphreys,

Go to this site and scroll down to 'Engineering Web' for links like your computers hardware errors messages: GlobalSpec.

Download and install the diagnostic program Everest and have a look at what it reports.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:55 AM

Two things I would try:

1. Check all the connections for your hard drive. A cable may have come loose somewhere.
2. Reset your BIOS. This can normally be achieved by unplugging the power to the computer and removing the motherboard battery for about 30mins. Then put the battery back in and fire up the computer again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:18 AM

I'd suggest trying a bootable diagnostic utility (usually free) from the manufacturer of your hard drive. Boot from it in your CD drive.

If the disk checks out OK, then it's time to try a few other things. Do you have the restore CD's that came with the computer (or that it asked you to make)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 neilhumphreys

neilhumphreys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hi All

thanks for your advice, I have read more about this error message and believe that the problem is with my hard drive. I reset my BIOS and managed to get windows back up and running. I am now trying to establish where the problem is. I think I will remove my data and then re format the disk.

Thanks for your help

Neil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users