Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me Computer - Reinstall Windows? Or Not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:51 AM

I'm fixing an older computer to be Internet ready and would like to know if I should reformat the hard drive. I have the recovery disks (For HP Pavilion) and so far, it seems to be running OK. Some initial scans reveal that it's highly infected with spyware, adware, etc. But all in all, it seems fine. Once the data on the hard drive is transferred to another computer and all back ups are created, should I reformat the hard drive and use the Recovery Disks for a clean install? Thanks for your expertise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

Given the age of the computer and the OS (I doubt if it has been reinstall before this), if it were up to me, I would give it a fresh install, even though I might have to spend some time updating the drivers, security packs, and application software. I think the increase in speed and reliability would be worth the time and effort.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 23 July 2007 - 11:30 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:26 PM

Thank you jgweed, it worked wonderfully. It's like a brand new computer! I'm posting a new topic on where I can reliably download all of the ME security updates. Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users