Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Remove Norton Spyware Scan?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 madtowngurl

madtowngurl

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

I cannot get the Norton Spyware Scan -Yahoo! to remove from my computer. I have been having the issue ever since I downloaded the yahoo toolbar or yahoo beta mail to my pc. I am not sure which one, but I have removed both programs from my pc, and still cannot get rid of Norton. I have checked in the add/remove programs list, and it is still there no matter what I do, but does not have a remove button on it. There is no button on it at all, even for more info.

I have searched my pc for Norton, NAV, Symantec, and anything else to do with this program and have deleted all to do with it.

I downloaded Nortons removal tool and used it, then deleted it, and still there.

I have even followed instructions from "Dave Taylor" website to delete from registry and still there.

I downloaded CCleaner to get rid of any leftover info on my pc, and still there.

Nothing exists on my pc that I can find except that damn Norton in add/remove programs, and unsure what else to do, but I need it gone because it is really slowing down everything.
Anyone have any other ideas on what to do?
Could this possibly be spyware itself disguising itself as this program?

I have ran my antivirus program, PC_Cillin, and found nothing.
I have ran Spybot and ad-aware, and smitfraudfix, and they are finding nothing.
What can I do? It is driving me crazy!
Don't make me mad, or I'll stab you with my gun!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:23 AM

Depending on how you got rid of the files, will depend on if the entry in Add/Remove can go away.

My suggestion is to reinstall whatever you have deleted and be sure to run their uninstallers. Otherwise, if all the information is gone, then just don't worry about the entry being there.

P.S. - Can you let us know what you did in the registry?

Thanks.

Edited by jwinathome, 23 July 2007 - 10:24 AM.

#3 madtowngurl

madtowngurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:05 PM

I went into registry and actually found no information in there pertaining to norton or symantec, so I just left it alone. My computer is running extremely slow lately, and freezes up a lot, and cannot fix this issue. I thought maybe it was because of Norton because I have heard it can really slow down a pc.
I have not just deleted any info on norton or symantec, have always went thru add/remove to do so. If I do a search for either of them, nothing comes up.

I have tried my virus program, pc-cillin, along with spybot, and adaware, and smitfraudfix, and still no issues come up on them. I have deleted any unneccesary programs from my computer also.

Anything else I could possibly try to get rid of this norton thing, or speed up my pc?
Don't make me mad, or I'll stab you with my gun!

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hi madtowngurl,

Are you seeing any errors in the Event Viewer to indicate that the Norton Spyware Scan is failing to load on start up?

If so, there are still bits of the program left on your computer.

Try removing it via Add/Remove Programs in Safe Mode.
Have you tried the Norton Removal Tool for Failed Installations or Damaged Products.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users