Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hello from the land of oz

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 myzr

myzr

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 01:21 AM

hi all. I need a newer pc but. so trying to get this old machine working better.I have been using as much of my spare time as posible to fight all the pests and stuff that has all but kicked my. so I am here to learn as much as I can.looks like lots of bells and whistles but so far the content has been very good.I have used the toots to set up a couple of adware spystuff and am looking forward to more!ok I am workin in a factory where my job is to keep the machines making parts so I need to be able to keep this bleepin pc workin too :thumbsup:
lm 10730

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:07 AM

Hello myzr, and welcome to BleepingComputer.
If your having spyware/malware problems, here are a couple of suggestions.

Are you using these basic security programs?

aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.

If that doesn't help, then:

Download the latest version of HijackThis (HJT), from here.

Put HijackThis in a Permanent folder:
Click My Computer / C: / File / New / Folder / name the folder; HijackThis
Put HijackThis.exe, in this folder.
This is a mandatory step, for the backup and restore functions, of HijackThis, to be able to work.

Read the pinned post in the HJT forum, here

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a couple of days to get a response, but, the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 10:55 AM

Just consider BC to be a manual about how to use your tools, since, after all the compouter is just another (VERY complicated) tool. Finding the tutorials seems to have helped you combat spyware (a constant job), and you can get additional help in the forums.
Welcome to BC!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 myzr

myzr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2005 - 11:46 AM

tg.. thanks for the reply and yes spyware/malware has been my focus for 6months now. I do have spybot and adaware installed. also avg and zonealarm. I have been a casual pc user/newbie since widows 95. I now am running ME. mostly I email my family and friends and play fantasy football etc. on the net. Netscape used to be my browser and mail room. a couple of years after getting broadband It kept getting harder and harder to put up with the crashes and annoyances.my old pc has a 4gig hd and was full so my first fix was to free up some space on the drive.I had always had IE and outlook E because It seemed that sometimes I could do somethings better with them than netscape so I deleted Netscape and a bunch of other things too! Well of course the baddies where still present. I was running only avg6free and thought I was clean. duh :flowers: My brother in law brought a pc mag home from work and I was awakened by articles about spy/ad/malware! :thumbsup: lots of my problems staring me in the face! I now have a better running machine but far from perfect. My wife has been using a program called Greetings Workshop since windows 95. Still using the same software and that maybe why it hangs and crashes but poor people have poor ways so I keep struggling to make it work for her.I have recently started going to control/alt/del and ending a program from there that looks like Gwoksremind or something and that has stopped the startup problems for this program. So all my reading and stuff on forums has paid off. Such a beautiful smile from her face when she cruises right thru a project.I am now building up my knowledge and courage etc. to go into the registry and get rid of the greetings workshop reminder or whatever it is. anyway enjoy the weather if you can. today we have snow falling and that also makes my wife smile. peace!... lm
lm 10730

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users