Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Continual Restart, No Safe Mode,

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kevin3

Kevin3

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:35 AM

I've encountered a similar problem with an endless rebooting cycle on my desktop. Dell GX 260

When I purchased my computer about three years ago, I bought it from someone at work and didin't receive the operating disks for Windows XP. I was wondering if I could just purchase Windows XP Pro software and follow the same steps to repair my computer - Recovery Disk/Repair XP? Or, wil I have to do a complete re-install and loose all of the files/data that are currently on the hard drive?

I had a similar problem back in Feb. and when I had a computer guy come out to repair it, he recommended that I purchase an external HD to avoid future situations like this. I do have an external HD with data from a few months ago on it but I see from my system BIOS that I cannot boot from a USB device - only allows HD, CD-ROM and floppy. Oh well, live and learn.

Kevin

(I did post this message in a previous thread but it seems that the thread was "closed" due to the other person's problem getting resolved)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:19 AM

according to dell that's a business computer,

NOTE: The Product Key is the bar code number on the sticker that is located on the external side cover of your computer. You may be prompted for the Product Key when using the Operating System CD under certain conditions.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...al/reinstal.htm
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users