Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice Please

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul-uk

Paul-uk

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:39 AM

Hi,
I have recently installed Comodo FP instead of Zone Alarm, following a recomendation from this site.

I had trouble connecting to the Internet and followed several suggestions, eventually connecting.

I have allowed access as required for programmes to work.

I play a few online games, snooker, MOHAA Spearhead, TW 2007 etc.

Last night I was playing TW2007 online and someone posted a message with my username in front of it, indicating that I had sent/said it, when I didn't.

My question is, did they gain access to my system to do this or is there a way of posting messages, which look as though someone else has 'said' it?

Has my security been breached? How Can I check?

I am worried that I may have unsecured ports open.

I am using XP Home SP2, Comodo FP/BO Clean/VE, Spyware Guard, Spysweeper, Spyware Blaster, Super antispyware, AVG 7.5, Spybot S&D,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:01 AM

Anyone please? Can you help me with this?

#3 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:46 AM

It might not be what you fear, does anyone know your password and username besides yourself? If not then read on....

By the looks of your list, you are should be very secure browsing the net.

Try scanning your computer for malware/viruses and remove or clean any problems found. It could just be a trojan or other spyware that is knows your private information.

If you are bothered or don't mind a bit of reading, or just want to double check, try reading the tutorial found here which gives you directions which will help you determine whether or not it is your open ports that are the problem.

To ensure that you are protected against threats, ensure that you regularly update all your programs.

Good luck and have a nice day :thumbsup:

P.S the tutorial may hurt your head a bit, it has a lot of info
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#4 Paul-uk

Paul-uk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:48 AM

Thank you very much for the advice.

I ran a numbe rof checks last night and it appears to be ok.

I will go through the list.

Thank you

Regards

Paul

#5 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:45 AM

No worries, I'm glad i helped :thumbsup:

Was going over the updated Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps link (which can be found here) and saw this cool program that can detect keyloggers.

Here's a quote form the site explaining what a keylogger is:

Top 10 Reasons Why You Need KL-Detector
(Why Keyloggers Threaten Your Privacy)

1. Surveillance software is very common nowadays. A Google search on keyloggers yields 2.7 million+ results.
2. Software has a bunch of features to record your activity in every possible way. See some features here.
3. Due to their "good purpose", keyloggers and other types of surveillance software are not detected by AntiVirus programs.
4. Most keyloggers are more threatening than the so-called spyware. Keyloggers can record your passwords, emails, credit card number, etc
5. Some keyloggers can even be installed remotely. Google search here.
6. Most (if not all) keyloggers are invisible. This means you will not know if a keylogger is running on your system.
7. More and more people are using keyloggers or surveillance software. These include your friends, spouse, employer, etc.
8. The recorded keystrokes can be sent to an email address. So physical access to your computer is not necessary.
9. Public computers (e.g. public library's) might have keyloggers installed. It is just a possibility.
10. You value your privacy, don't you?

If you wanna check it out and maybe even download it, click here

Hope nothing comes up!
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users