Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Problem After Re-imaging By Ghost 9.0

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Punk-Nerd

Punk-Nerd

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:09 AM

My 3 year old laptop just had a major crisis over some spyware. I couldn't anything so I re-imaged the C partition (my primary partition) with an image file created by Ghost 9. I used the Sysmantec rescue disc to retore the image. Eventhough the system is up and running, there exists a few problem

1) Extremely startup time!!! Before re-image, the computer started up with 10 different services on the right hand side of the task bar and it only stayed at the welcome screen for 3 secs. Now, the only thing that runs is Windows, and it takes like 2 mins to get over the boot screen. I'm pretty sure it's not the spyware cuz the image i used contained only windows and essential drivers

2) Firewall/ Internet Connection Sharing Service (ICS) doesn't start up automatically, even though the Services Administrative tool says tis

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Started Automatic Local System

Apparently, this causes me to manually turn on Windows firewall at start up. In addition, 3-rd party firewall such as comodo cannot be turned on at all (well, I can run the program, but none of the "monitor" can be turned on).

These problems are beyond my ability to fix. So I appreciate a good solution very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:06 AM

It sounds to me like there was some corruption in the imaging process. Two things you could try are:

1. Try restoring the image again.
2. Do a repair install of Windows.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:01 AM

After reloading the image, if you still have the same problem, can you create a new 'test' user account and see if the comp loads slowly? I've had a problem with a corrupted user account file and needed to make a new one. It was a quick resolution. Might be worth a shot.

If it loads fine, then you could move your stuff over to your new account. Presuming you are using XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

If you're still running into probs, like Budapest said, you might want to reinstall the OS to make sure all the system files are free of corruption.

Edited by jhsmurray, 24 July 2007 - 03:12 AM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

A couple of thoughts here:
1) Could the image have been made while there was some malware hidden on the system? If so, this could be the malware rearing it's ugly head again.
2) Once the malware is ruled out, you could try a repair of Windows to help with the delays that you're experiencing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users