Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linking Two Pc's...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys!

I have just purchased a cheapish PC (POC :flowers: ) to utilise as my internet browsing PC. I still have my monster PC for gaming.

What I want to do is utilise the same internet connection for both PC's. I have an external modem (cable broadband) which is currently connected to my gaming PC, and this is the only connection available from the modem.

The modem is also wireless capable, but I have had problems utilising the wireless function (I also have wireless phones which interfere with the signal (found that out the hard way)) so I would rather have both connected by network cable if at all possible.

My gaming PC also has dual Gigabit LAN (2 x LAN ports on back) - am I able to utilise this as a sort of HUB? i.e. so that my new "internet" PC can access the modem?

In addition to this, does the gaming PC (with the dual LAN) need to be switched on AND booted up (as opposed to just switched on wheere there is power to the MoBo), or can it run through the dual LAN without the necessity of the gaming PC being booted up?

Any other suggestions are welcome - I can build a mean PC, but I am an Internet n00b. I do know a bit about LAN's however, so anything you guys suggest will be helpful. Also, if you think that the wireless option might be worth a try, let me know (I still have my wireless USB antenna for the PC)...

:trumpet: Cheers. Oh, and any questions welcome too!

B|U|Z|Z :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:51 PM

I possibly forgot to mention some fairly critical info - I want to keep the PC's on separate networks - as in I only want data to go between the two if I want it to - i.e. by USB key, CD/DVD or removable hard drive....

Cheers!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:19 AM

You can get a router to split up your cable connection, I use a Dlink, HERE is one from newegg.com. I'm not necessarily recommending this router but it gives you the idea of what I'm talking about. With the router you can fire up either or both computers. I have 2 desktops and a laptop that I hook up and have no trouble with. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:45 AM

You could always connect a switch.
MCP
MSDST

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:58 AM

Well really I see a few options. 1 would be to have the connection linked off the Gaming PC. This is not the best option as it i9s a pain to setup and will need to have the gaming PC on to get the network working from the other machine.
Other option would be to use a wireless setup and use a wireless card in the second machine. I gather as you stated this is a cvheap machine only for internet this maybe a waste of money.
The last situation is to get a cheap ethernet hub or switch and connect that the the modem and set both machines to different static IP addresses with the correct gateway addresses. This will mean they are both on the same network and would make transfering files easily. I am not sure of anyway of linking the 2 machines together without this functionality unless you invest in a seperate Router.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I still have the USB wireless adapter to connect to the modem wirelessly, so I guess that may be the option (to save any more expenditure). I am talking to my ISP now to see about how I can do it, so hopefully they will be able to give me the final word.

I guess my next question is therefore - if I can't utilise the same modem easily without both PC's being on the same network (and as such be able to share files), how do I ensure that there is minimal to nil traffic between the two? (i.e. the cheap PC will be utilised for torrents, and I can't have the possibility of getting a virus on the gaming machine (which doubles as our photo storage etc))...

Cheers :thumbsup:
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

They're two seperate connection. If the cheap PC get's a virus, it won't spread over to the gaming PC.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#8 JPHarvey

JPHarvey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

Well that's good news! Cheers!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users