Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

80 Pin Scsi Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hi Anyone,

My third post today and I have yet to get a response. Hopefully this will be a little more successful.

Anyhow, I've posted about this previously but this will be a little different.

First, I have a broken 80 pin SCSI hard Drive. What's broken you ask. Well I'll tell you.

The 80 pin female receptor on the back of the hard drive has two "ear" like protrusions one on either side of the 80 pin female receptor. One of these "ears" has broken completely off making the hard drive useless.

But all my June hours are recorded on this drive and foolish me didn't back them up in time.

1. So, my question is does anyone know how to replace the 80 pin female receptor on the back of the hard drive? I.E., can it be replaced?

2. If it can be replaced where can I find some instructions on how to do this, if there are any?

3. Oh and of course, where can I find a replacement part for this?

Please, anyone chime in and let me know. Thank you.

John :thumbsup:
John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

I'd answer your other post, but I don't use either program. Concerning the drive, just what exactly is broke? Isn't the "ear protrusion" just to retain the connector? I'll try looking for some parts. How handy are you at soldering? It won't be a simple task. If it was a less expensive drive, I'd say but another one just like it and swap out the boards to get the data off it. Maybe search Ebay for a broken one someone wants to sell for parts It would have to be the EXACT same model to swap circuit board and all
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 22 July 2007 - 08:40 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:26 PM

Hi Garmanma,

It cost all of $20.00 on eBay and I received it with a severed "ear", only I wasn't familiar with 80 pin drives at the time or I would of sent it back for a replacement.

The "ear" actually seems to carry current, it has a metal part soldered to the board that connects to the cable.

I do think that I could do the soldering. However, I didn't think of swapping the circuit boards on the hard drives. I thought of changing out the hard drives, but swapping the circuit boards sounds a lot easier, if it will work. I've never done it before.

I just thought that it might be easier to replace the 80 pin receptor. If not I'll start looking for a match on eBay. I think I can afford another $20.00 plus shipping and handling to get my June hours off it, that is if I didn't only get this one for $20.00 because it was broken to begin with. We'll check it out.

Though I'd still like to know if my idea of replacing the 80 pin receptor has merit?

Thanks.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:09 AM

Wasn't sure about the ear. I've only seen pics of an scsi drive and not a close-up. Is just the plastic broke and it's still hanging in place by the conductor? If so maybe a good grade epoxy glue will work. Clamp it while it cures and maybe add a layer of gauze and cement over it for reinforcement

"Though I'd still like to know if my idea of replacing the 80 pin receptor has merit?"

I've been doing it a long time and I'm good at it. Plus I have accumulated a lot of good equipment over the years. With a single-point iron and a desoldering tool/tape, it would be a challenge, though not impossible. The hard part is finding a supplier that will sell you one or two receptacles and not 100, or a $100 dollar min order
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

Hi Garmanma,

You can check out these pictures I took of the broken SCSI terminator and posted to my flickr account (I hope that the page opens up for you OK). If it helps you see what happened you should see that the "ear" broke completely off. I got it severed but it subsequently broke completely off.

Anyhow, I never thought of swapping circuit boards. That sounds liked he most likely solution that I'll end up doing.

However, I've also looked for the male terminator part to replace the broken part on the hard drive circuit board but I have yet to find just that part for sale anywhere.

So, if you have sources to purchase parts like this from I'd love to hear whom they might be if you're willing to share such info. I hope that you are because as I mentioned I'm finding it hard to find anyone that carries items like this.

I hope that you're still getting this entry.

Edited by Johnz414, 28 July 2007 - 12:16 AM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

The pics were too blurry for my old eyes Like I said, the problem with buying any electronic parts is you got to buy bulk. I have a few friends that don't throw anything away. I'll take a look and see what they have. There's also an old guy in town that has an electronics junkyard so to speak. Right now I'm going through a bunch of test at the hospital so it would be a while for anything to come of it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users