Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sex Education ...

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

How old should little ones be before ‘age appropriate’ sex education could be provided in schools, I wonder.

Do you think Primary School is too young? Or perhaps it could be started even sooner, when little ones are in Kindergarten?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

i was never really tought sex-ed at school ,and it has done me no harm .they pretty much teach it in every school now and i would have to say the teenagers are a lot more promiscuious now than they were in my day .maybe thats just here in the uk ,i dont know but from what i can see sex-ed serves no purpose except making young people more aware of sex and not the downfalls i.e s.t.ds ,teenage pregnancy e.t.c.

just to add if they do teach it ,it should be done with over fourteens in my opinion any younger is wrong ,there is no way in the world i would let my daughter be taught sex-ed at kindergarten age and for many years after.

Edited by mz30, 23 July 2007 - 01:20 PM.

god my head hurts.
if you don't ask ,you don't know

Posted Image

#3 solaris32

solaris32

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

I had a little sex ed class in 4th grade. It was just 1 class 1 time. I don't really remember it, just remember them telling us that if we have sex to use contraceptives, and that ultimately the best contraceptive is abstinence. I didn't have a problem with it, it was just a unique class that we could laugh at. It did introduce to us stds and condoms and the dangers and such, so I think it was good.
When I'm asking for help, please explain, in detail, every step. Thank you :).
I have nightmares about computer glitches and bugs.

#4 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:48 PM

How old should little ones be before ‘age appropriate’ sex education could be provided in schools, I wonder.

Do you think Primary School is too young? Or perhaps it could be started even sooner, when little ones are in Kindergarten?

If it is "age appropriate", then why not Kindergarten?

Pointing out that little boys and little girls are different makes sense to me.

Calmly discussing privacy in the bathroom makes sense, too.

After all, sex education isn't just talking about the act of "tab A goes into slot A".

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#5 DJDET

DJDET

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:46 PM

I wouldn't know. I fear the day my almost 5 year old pops "the" question. For the time being she's convinced babies just grow in mommy's belly. But one day she'll wonder ... oh yes ... she will.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:50 PM

I strongly disagree with teaching children under the age of 8th grade. There is little use for such. Kindergarten would be way over the lne. I'm involved in protesting it at our local school and my kids are past grade school. For one these little ones know there's a difference. Leave it at that you and I figured it out. They are not that consumed by it yet, let them alone. I don't see letting an adult (teacher) explain innapropriate touching to anyones K child as a good thing. In fact I see it as opposite. That is what they want to teach. This should be handled at home. and raises 2 points.
A) The teacher,albeit a good caring and concerned one, will be gone in 6 months to a year. Out of he childs life. You've just allowed the child to be befriended and trusting of an adult ( a stranger of sorts). Got to make friends over a short period of time and now discusses sexuality with YOUR child. Sounds to much like"want some candy." One would be allowing the same principle you teach against. Once more de- sensitizing children to the things we try to protect them from.
:thumbsup: Parents should instruct on this at home. Yes some don't and some don't do it properly. Better solution:have a parenting class at the school. Teach the parents and leave the kids be kids. (Some reason a line from a Pink Floyd song rings in my head..." Hey Teacher, Leave them kids alone") I know there was a good parenting service at our church. Parenting is becoming a lost art. Not monitoring what /where they do, watch, go on the net, TV, friends ,schoo, etc.. You need not be a dictator,but only a concerned caring parent. The kids will understand.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:17 PM

I understand why parents would object, honestly I do. But the reality of our world makes me believe that the younger a child is taught 'bad touching versus good touching', the better.

I beg you, those of you who think even age appropriate talks are terrible things unless given by a parent - please reconsider.

It's horrible to think about but the truth is most sexual molestation of tiny innocent children is not commited by the 'pedophile' who lurks in the bushes with candy and tales of having lost their puppy. The majority of them are commited by parents - the same parents we are depending on teaching the little ones about 'good and bad touching' and the ones we assume are like us.

And it's these who commit these crimes that count on other parents objecting strongly to all little ones being taught the difference. If it helps one little 4 or 5 year old know that what's happening to them is wrong and they are not the bad person, they can tell their grandmother or teacher or someone - and have the hell stopped.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#8 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:31 PM

I understand why parents would object, honestly I do. But the reality of our world makes me believe that the younger a child is taught 'bad touching versus good touching', the better.

maram
while i can understand what you mean by the above ,my daughter is not left alone with anyone besides myself and my wife ,i trust no-one and believe me i mean no-one and my wife is worse than me .from what you go on to describe i also understand ther are some parents who are pure scum.most parents are not and the ones that are i hope they die a very severe death, children are innocent and the should remain innocent as long as we can protect them.

from something i watched last night(a t.v program)in a lot of cases the abused become the abuser .in my opinion (i will re-itterate)sex-ed has no place in our schools especially kindergarten.
and from what i can assume you are a very learned person and have your own thoughts on this matter,for me the teaching of children about sex is a no no.
however being a fairly new parent i am willing to try and understand peoples points of view (cant see it making much diffrence though)
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#9 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:53 PM

Believe me, I do understand - I want to be the one that explains, my own way, about 'good and bad touching' to my wee ones - not a stranger (because although with our children for hours each day, a teacher is still not a parent).

But I wonder if a compromise could be reached between the parents against it and the teachers who feel it is so necessary?

For instance, parents could acknowledge that abuse does happen with tiny children sadly and while they wouldn't do it, other parents do. And the children being abused often honestly doesn't know that daddy or mommy shouldn't be doing it. So there has to be some way to tell children they are not at fault and there is help to make it stop. And because how would one know which children are victims and which are not, a 'universal' wee chat would be given to all children. (Letting one slip through and be abused is a horrible thought).

But ... in return for permitting teachers to have that wee playtime chat with the tiny ones in non-threatening or frightening way ... parents could meet with teachers (PTA meetings) and discuss - in details - what will or will not be said and how it will be said to the children.

- - - - -

At the risk of sickening some, please permit me a chance to perhaps explain why this is so vital that every method possible be used to protect tiny innocent children.

My husband and I had two people working with us - a highly educated man and his wife. Two lovely people and we enjoyed their company. Add their 3 darling little girls ... one age 3, one age 5 and one age 7.

They were in our home when a telephone call came from an Officer asking if they were there and would I please not let on anything about the phone call but somehow 'keep them there', if at all possible. And the Police Officers arrived - separating both parents and taking them in for questioning - with my husband caring for the little ones and I being asked to accompany the mother to the station.

The result: Not only was the father guilty of child molestation, he had started having full sex with the 7 year old when she was 4. Why? "Because she tempted" him "by wearing "baby doll pajamas". Why was he also having full sex with the 5 year old? "Because she tempted" him.

Did the mother know? Yes, the entire time. But somehow "loved him" anyway. When offered the choice between keeping her children and agreeing to never see him as long as the children were minors either in prison or later - she chose her husband and the children went into foster care.

Did any of their friends suspect? No. Would I believe it could happen with people we knew and liked? No.

And why did it stop? For one simple reason. The 7 year old was given the 'bad touching/good touching' wee chat along with the other children in her class - and burst into tears and threw up on her shoes.

#10 mz30

mz30

• Members
  • 828 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:08 PM

hi maram
read your post and have not got that much to say about it at the moment.
what i will say is i hope the both of them die slow painful deaths(sorry if that sounds a little harsh) him for doing it and even worse her for sort of condoning it.
i actually feel very sick at the moment will reply properly tommorow
god my head hurts.

Posted Image

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:28 PM

I also think 8th grade should be MIN teaching age of sex education.

Then I think they should show just what "doing it" without marriage and a young age does to people. Sex does NOT equal love!

#12 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

I personally do not think it should be taught. I mean a little chat to let them know what is right and what is wrong is fine but anything over that just isn't proper for school. I personally had a hard time in those classes, they taught that it was ok as long as you met the legal age (here being 13) and used protection. I have a huge problem with that. I don't believe in sex before marriage, I know people screw up though and I believe God understands that too. While many might disagree with me, I feel that if it leans toward any view then it is biased and should not be taught. Only scientific FACT should be taught at school. Not moral beliefes, which dealing with sex is a moral beliefe in my view.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

please define Sex Ed for me.

I had human/mammal reproduction in Biology in 9th grade (it fits in well here), safe sex practices and STD's in 8th grade Health (condoms, AIDS, etc,) and god knows how many assemblies on Abastinance from 8th to 12th grade. all were taught by the guidance counselors or teachers (usually both). So I never really had a "Sex Ed" class, it was a combination of classes that painted the whole picture

Posted Image

#14 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:30 AM

I understand, mz30. It's horrible and still haunts me. And I think it's such an example, although a horrible one, of why we should please re-think our positions on not having little ones receive some basic 'good/bad touching' knowledge at Kindergarten level. But a huge sigh for the need of it.

For myself, I think in terms of 'age appropriate' being:

1. For tiny ones - good touching/bad touching (for reasons I've mentioned previously).

2. For junior high kids (age 14?) - sex education that should perhaps be re-named 'respect for the human body'.

BlackSpyder studied human reproduction in Biology - and surely that can't, in itself, say having sex before marriage is a good thing. The fact that 'safe sex practices' were also taught doesn't mean it's okay for kids to go out and 'do it'. And it does sound like he's 'up' on this stuff - huge smile!

But neither is ignorance bliss for those that don't receive any education other than 'don't do it'.

Many young girls from good homes end up pregnant at the age of 14 or 15 - and one reason could be because no one actually sat her down and was honest. Lust and love are not the same thing (as you mentioned, CGM) - and that while we do not not not want you to do it, if you do, please please use proper birth control/protection.

I like the idea you have need TOS ... only scientific fact nor moral beliefs taught. For to me, it's a scientific fact that babies happen whether planned or not. And diseases are obtained, and not knowing this exist isn't a gift any of us would perhaps wish on our children.

#15 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 24 July 2007 - 02:05 AM

My honest opinion is that children will ask awkward questions when young, and It's up to responsible Parents to how best teach their Children the facts of life.I taught my Children when they started asking Questions.I would hate any teacher to instill anything sexually orientated in their young minds, without my permission. I strongly believe the Schools have the best interests at heart,but think also young children need to know about sex education as they are reaching Puberty. This is a safeguard in case some Parents were irresponsible and were too lazy to teach their Children at home.Personally I think around the ages of 10 to 12 yrs is sensible, for sex education at School.

EDIT: Slightly off topic.I also think our Government here has got it all wrong giving 4000 to 5000 Dollars Cash to every mother who gives Birth. Teenage Schoolchildren are leaving the Education System just to have Babies for the money.
Young teenagers from poor families have admitted on TV, that the princpal reason they chose pregnancy was for the money.
The cash runs out quick and the Government welfare dept's are left to pay for the raising of the infant anyway.
On TV these teenage Mothers are shown buying stupid things with the money,instead of things for the Child.
A far better idea, in my opinion, is instead of cash incentives,only make food and clothing vouchers available. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 24 July 2007 - 02:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users