Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Spyware Removing Sporder.dll

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:15 PM

Ok, so like a loads of members my laptop stops at start up with a window (MSK dectector) saying Sporder.dll file missing.

History so far after askng on here:
As instructed I uninstalled MacAfee then reinstalled but it was the same after start up
I repaired Winsock.
I downloaded Sporder.dll onto a USB Key from my PC and placed it in System32.

After that it booted up fine.

The next day back to square one so placed Sporder.dll back in System32 and on the desktop.

Next day the Sporder.dll file had gone from System32 and the Desktop.

Is there something doing this like spyware or virus? Have done spybot/ad-aware/webroot and aol's personal protection scans plus MacAfee virus scan and nothing threw up.

It's driving me nuts :thumbsup:
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:27 PM

It's probably AOL that's doing it.
Reinstall sporder.dll, and don't use AOL's antispyware, or if there's an option to ignore the entry, select that.
I believe AOL is detecting it as a false positive, and deleting it.

Did you ever contact AOL, as I suggested in your topic here:
Sporder.dll Missing

Edited by tg1911, 22 July 2007 - 03:36 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:43 PM

It's probably AOL that's doing it.
Reinstall sporder.dll, and don't use AOL's antispyware, or if there's an option to ignore the entry, select that.
I believe AOL is detecting it as a false positive, and deleting it.

Did you ever contact AOL, as I suggested in your topic here:
Sporder.dll Missing

Oh hi, I did not contact AOL as when I disabled AOL's antispareware it booted on ok but again the next day the sporder.dll file went missing again dispite the AOL antispyware still being disabled. Also, my other laptop and my PC both have exactly the same set-up but have never had this problem. The 'infected' laptop has been running without problems until recently so how can it really be an AOL issue?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:45 PM

Definitely a false positive. Everything I find says the file is legitimate. It comes with earthlink, aol, and several other ISP setup programs, CA pest patrol, Windows antispyware, and aol antispyware have detected and removed it, but fixed the false positive.

Here at bleeping computer, there is an excellent thread on free programs, which IMHO are all better that the AOL antispyware program.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

I just cotacted AOL to ask if there are issues with thier spyware protection and sporder.

They emailed me this fix which I followed and restarted.

Guess what........yeah Sorder missing again!!!!

AOL is closed now so will get back tomorrow.

As there is no real stuff on my laptop that I can't replace will a complete restore back to when new solve the issue?

Here is the failed fix........

Dear Member,

Windows XP SP2
Click on Start
Click on Run
Type CMD and then hit enter
At the DOS Prompt type: Netsh int reset all
Once this is done hit enter
Now type ipconfig /flushdns
Once this is complete you may need to restart the PC
The Problem should now be resolved

Edited by doresy, 22 July 2007 - 04:24 PM.

#6 doresy

doresy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:32 PM

In MY last entry to this thread I said that the fix from AOL had not worked but I could be wrong!!!

Fingers crossed but tonight I have restarted my laptop 5 times and each time since doing the fix it has been.....dare I say......ok! :thumbsup:

It was just the first time I rebooted after doing the fix and reinstalling the sporder file that it remained un-fixed but it now seems to have done the trick.

Will keep you posted

Edited by doresy, 23 July 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:47 PM

That's good to hear, doresy.
Keep us posted.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users