Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sookan

Sookan

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

For at least a week, I have been experiencing periods where I have limited, if any connection to the internet.

I haven't ruled out the possibility of problems with my ISP(Blueyonder, taken over by virgin media), although everyone in my area using this provider has told me they are having no problems. I have yet to phone them to see if there are technical difficulties. My modem reports that nothing is wrong however, and virus scans come up clean.

I'm not sure what is causing the extremely slow sessions, although they tend to occur towards the evening, and lead me to suspect that someone is sharing my connection, somehow. If this is the case, is there anything I can do to stop them?

If not, I would appreciate any help or advice as regards to what I should do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

As this problem is occurring at a certain time of day, there is a good chance the Internet traffic is higher at that particular time.
This will cause temporary slowness.

Also have a look at the Topic: Slow Computer?, Use This Troubleshooting Checklist.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:30 PM

Similar suggestions:

http://www.slow-computer.com/how-to-make-c...ter-faster.html

#4 Sookan

Sookan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

As this problem is occurring at a certain time of day, there is a good chance the Internet traffic is higher at that particular time.
This will cause temporary slowness.

Also have a look at the Topic: Slow Computer?, Use This Troubleshooting Checklist.

That would seem like the cause, but how can it be explained that the extreme slowness has only started this week, when I've been using the service for 3 years with no such problems?
To give you an idea of how severe it is, a internet speed test showed my upload speed was reduced to 0.03kb/s(average is 361.47kb/s). I have yet to test my download speed, during the slow periods. Loading google to search for a test site, then loading said test site takes up to 30 minutes, in itself. However, for future reference, my average downloading speed is roughly 4000kb/s.

Also, the problem is confined to my internet connection. My PC is running at it's normal speed.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

Contacting your ISP should be the next step, to rule out any hardware failure on their end.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:00 AM

Could it be that some program (running in the background) is taking all of your internet speed? If so, I'd suggest scanning for malware in Safe Mode.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users