Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dev-c++ - Standalone .exe?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

Howdy BC!
I have been doing my programming in Linux, but for spreading it around, I'd like to make sure I have Windows executables, as well. I got Dev-C++, which is not compatible with Windows Vista (at least not mine), but does work on my mom's XP machine. So, my question is, how can I compile the source code to leave a standalone executable? When I hit Compile, nothing happens, and I can't find where it stores an executable, if it does at all.
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

It does not store an executable, it merely compiles what you have into memory, and you have to click run to run the program, so if you hit compile and run it would run. You will have to search for a free C++ compiler.

Have you tried runing Dev C++ in Vista, but running it in compatibility with XP?

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:29 AM

Yes, and Vista refuses to work with it at all, regardless of compatibility or Run as Administrator.
With 4. whatever it is (the one that isn't beta), it could not find g++, and with the new beta version, it just doesn't compile.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:35 PM

IIRC it compiles as long as one hits the compile button?? (ie Execute-Compile)

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:40 PM

(does not know what IIRC is but will pretend that's not there)
Nope - no window pops up on Vista. On XP, however, it compiles fine.
However, that's not the issue - I just want to know of a free Windows XP compatible compiler that creates an executable file, so that I can bring the file without a whole compiler and source code.

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

Dev C++ does create stand alone .exe files. You click on execute, then compile. It will ask you where you want to save it, and the name, and that's it. :thumbsup: It is not compatible with Vista. What part of your question am I not understanding?

(Incidentally IIRC means "if I recall correctly")

#7 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

My mistake, thanks for the info groovicus. From my experience I never got a compiled executable, it just ran within dev C++, kind of like with QuickBasic 1.1.

-Steve
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

To be honest, I hadn't used it for quite awhile. I had to download it and create a small program. :thumbsup:

#9 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Dev C++ does create stand alone .exe files. You click on execute, then compile. It will ask you where you want to save it, and the name, and that's it. :thumbsup: It is not compatible with Vista. What part of your question am I not understanding?

(Incidentally IIRC means "if I recall correctly")

Haha you just answered my question. I'll have to try it again, but with my experience with Dev-C++, I hit COMPILE, and the only thing that popped up is something to the effect of "Operation Complete", and I was never prompted with a "Save Executable file as..." dialog.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:22 PM

Hit compile on the menu bar at the top.

#11 AMAMH

AMAMH

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

what are u saying Glunn11
I use Dev-C++ and when I hit Ctrl+F9 it does create EXE in the same folder of the source file
and when u hit F9 it compiles then execute

my version of Dev-C++ is 4.9.9.2 , the GCC package is 3.4.2 and the G++ package is 3.4.2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users