Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Parts To Buy For A Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 osakamitsu

osakamitsu

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Hello... I am just getting into building computers, so there is A LOT I either don't know or don't understand yet. But I have been pricing parts online and I needed some opinions. I plan on playing a lot of games on it. Epecially the newer one like Bioshock that look like they are going to use vista and direct x10. Besides I already have vista ultimate. I also do some video editing and 3D modeling. I even use programs like reason to compose music. I guess my problem comes in with what mother board do I buy? I know the least about them. I was thinking about buying a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Radeaon HD 2900 XT, 4 gigs of ram. I just want to make sure this is a good bond between them. What motherboard will work best with that set up? Also I would like DDR3 ram if possible. Another thing... what kind of power supply would I need for all of that? I hear the 2900 XT uses a lot of power. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

Depending on your price preference any board from HERE will do just fine. There have been allot of users with these manufactures, MSI, ASUS, XFS, ABIT. You'll want to shy away from ECS as their board have had allot of unhappy customers here on the forums. Since thus far you have chosen an ATI video card you will want a board that supports future upgrades to dual cards, so a board that supports ATI Crossfire technology. For the power supply you will need one that is rated at a good 500 watts plus and offers two PCI E connectors. ATI/AMD offers a list of Tested and Certified Power supplies HERE. A model from Antec, Coolmax, and thermaltake should fit the job great. If you are going to upgrade to dual cards in crossfire format you will need a more powerful PSU click the link offering certified power supplies for dual card setups.

:thumbsup: To BC

Edited by Sneakycyber, 22 July 2007 - 12:40 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 osakamitsu

osakamitsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

hey hanks a lot... so how can i make sure it supports crossfire? it doesnt seem to obvious on new egg...

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:10 PM

Go to the manufacture's website it will give you the information there.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 osakamitsu

osakamitsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:17 PM

thanks its been a ton of help

#6 osakamitsu

osakamitsu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:53 PM

so what do you think if I went with that set up except instead of an ati 2900 XT... but a 8800 GTX?

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

here's a comparison of the 2 cards from legion hardware. http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=650&p=1. Its' truly up to you the GTX is the apparently fast card but not by much.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users